Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pinning up quilts to take photos >

Pinning up quilts to take photos

Pinning up quilts to take photos

Old 09-20-2010, 04:55 PM

I've noticed a lot of quilts displayed here that don't get to show the "full picture" for the rest of us to see. I use the yellow headed pins to pin my quilt up on the wall. They're strong. Most walls are drywall. You can push the pins into the drywall enough to hold up the quilt. I use a leather thimble on the finger I push the pins in with. The pins leave such a small hole in the wall that you don't see them at all after you remove them. They also don't leave a hole in your quilt. Push the pins in at an angle so the head is up above the insertion point. This creates a grip that keeps the fabric from following gravity which is what it will do if the head of the pin is lower than its insertion point in the fabric. Outside, I use clamps to hold the quilt on the rain gutters of the house. I'm able to hold up to a 90" quilt without it touching the ground. Hope this is helpful to you.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:57 PM

I like the idea of using the gutters for hanging quilts. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:01 PM

I only make lap or baby quilts right now and I hang them from my vertical blinds with binder clips.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:02 PM

Never thought of the gutters, thats a great idea. just gotta get the right hooks to clasp the quilt with. I will have to have a go at that the next nice sunny day we have, oohh the w/end is looking really good for that. :)
Old 09-20-2010, 05:04 PM

I lay it on the floor, then stand on a chair to get the whole thing in! I like your way better. lol
Old 09-20-2010, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by pennyj123
Never thought of the gutters, thats a great idea. just gotta get the right hooks to clasp the quilt with. I will have to have a go at that the next nice sunny day we have, oohh the w/end is looking really good for that. :)
I got the "new" (to me) plastic clamps that work trigger fashion from the Home Depot. I am always finding new uses for them.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:06 PM

I lay my quilt top over my quilting frame so that the bottom is just off the floor. I may not get it all in the photo, but enough to show the design. A bonus - the digital photo often will show things my eye doesn't see - like a block turned the wrong way!
Old 09-20-2010, 05:07 PM

Hmmm Home Depot, never heard of that here, but will have a look around for the plastic clamps, are they like stronger pegs. :)
Old 09-20-2010, 05:08 PM

I started out in quilting making King size quilts. I only recently started making the smaller Queen size. Whenever I work smaller than that I laugh with joy for the easeiness of it.
Originally Posted by QuiltedComforts
I only make lap or baby quilts right now and I hang them from my vertical blinds with binder clips.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by pennyj123
Hmmm Home Depot, never heard of that here, but will have a look around for the plastic clamps, are they like stronger pegs. :)
Hardware
stores, Loew's(like Home Depot) these are lumberyards with all kinds of other stuff. I see that you're from Australia. What's your equivalent to A lumber-hardware store with lots of other stuff.