Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pinning quilts to Pinterest OK? >

Pinning quilts to Pinterest OK?

Pinning quilts to Pinterest OK?

Old 07-26-2018, 07:17 AM

Question Pinning quilts to Pinterest OK?

I love looking at the quilts everyone posts. I am an active Pinterest user. I save quilts from all over the internet and use them for inspiration, layout ideas, border ideas, color combinations, etc. If you have shared a picture of a quilt, how do you feel about someone pinning it? I do not sell quilts, personal use only. I didn't want to pin any of the lovely quilts without making sure it was acceptable. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, feelings on this.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

If someone wants to keep a picture private they should never post it on the internet. That goes for more than quilts!
Old 07-26-2018, 07:34 AM

I, too, enjoy looking at quilts on Pinterest and searching for specific quilt ideas, many of which I save to my page. There is certainly a lot of inspiration out there so my bucket list just grows and grows.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

I have personally had several quilt pics I have posted here pinned on Pinterest. When I first discovered them via my own Pinterest browsing I was a bit taken aback but that quickly subsided and I was happy and flattered someone thought enough of my quilt to pin.

I agree with Dunster, that once you put something out on a public site on the internet it is fair game and the QB is a public site. In fact it is in the T&C of internet brands that by posting a picture on the QB you are giving Internet Brands the right to use that picture if they so desire.

It is nice to ask permission to Pin someones picture but it isn't required and if your pinterest board is set to private no one will ever know but few are set to private. Often by the time I find a Pin, it has been repinned numerous times and it is difficult to find the origination of the picture, let alone the maker or quilter of a quilt, even show quilts.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:40 AM

I have pinned several from the board. I always ask permission from the original poster first, though. Most are flattered that you like their quilt enough to want to save it for future inspiration. There are some very nice quilts on here!
Old 07-26-2018, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

I don't bother to ask... why would anyone object? I figure if they didn't want others to see their quilt, they wouldn't have posted it. When anyone clicks on the picture, it will bring them right back to the original post of the picture on the QB.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:50 AM

I agree with Dunster. Once something is posted, it's out there. There is really no expectation of privacy. I've googled a term, or procedure, and many times it leads right back to the QB. I've also been surprised seeing my own quilts, wall hangings or creations on pinterest. When I pin I give credit to the creator if I can.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

I don't do Pinterest or Facebook but do send photos in emails and noticed once that if i clicked on my photo, i could look at more of mine. scary that happened. so far it's not happened with posts in quilt forums. just watch yourself.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

It wouldn't bother me at all if someone posted a picture of a quilt I posted. I think it's a compliment!
Old 07-26-2018, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

I have also found some of my quilts on other sites, mostly pinterest. I guess I'm also a bit flattered! I agree with Dunster, if you posted it, you put it out there.