Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pinning quilts to Pinterest OK? >

Pinning quilts to Pinterest OK?

Pinning quilts to Pinterest OK?

Old 07-26-2018, 09:43 AM

I don't get too many quilt pictures on this site but I would be honored if someone chose to put my quilts on pinterest. I agree with everyone else that if we put it on this public forum then it is open to what people want to do with the picture. I love pinterest and go there for a lot of inspiration.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:58 AM

I'm pleased and complimented when I find one of my own quilts on Pinterest, and as previous posters have said, clicking on the picture leads you right back here. As far as I'm concerned, the more quilts posted on Pinterest, the more ideas are sparked for others and we all win.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I don't bother to ask... why would anyone object? I figure if they didn't want others to see their quilt, they wouldn't have posted it. When anyone clicks on the picture, it will bring them right back to the original post of the picture on the QB.

I don't bother to ask either. If posted on a public site online, it's accessible to anyone.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by TAMARATJO View Post
I love looking at the quilts everyone posts. I am an active Pinterest user. I save quilts from all over the internet and use them for inspiration, layout ideas, border ideas, color combinations, etc. If you have shared a picture of a quilt, how do you feel about someone pinning it? I do not sell quilts, personal use only. I didn't want to pin any of the lovely quilts without making sure it was acceptable. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, feelings on this.
I also love Pinterest. How do you pin the quilts from here and also photos from my own photos? Thanks for explaining.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
If someone wants to keep a picture private they should never post it on the internet. That goes for more than quilts!
I agree, to some extent. There's really nothing you can do about it, and everyone should have figured that out by now.

Still, if I post a photo on a specific forum for my online friends to see, that should not make it public domain, but it usually does.

Then, I've had people take my photos that were posted to a site that says the photos are owned by the contributor and are not public domain take them anyway and use them on commercial web sites. There's not anything you can do about that either.

And I also resent certain sites that "host" personal "work product" of their contributors and then charge others for access to it. That's why my family tree is not on Ancestry.

I guess that I'm just a curmudgeon.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 07-26-2018 at 12:46 PM. Reason: never mind, I'm not changing it
Old 07-26-2018, 03:20 PM

Maureen MJ, I have a "pin it" button that I downloaded from Pinterest that allows me to pin a picture when I click on it.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:39 PM

This is the number one reason why I don't post any of my own designs here or on FB. Some sites and forums have sharing and downloading disabled, but they are few and far between. If and when I do post them, they have my name and website watermarked and embedded in the photo.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I don't bother to ask... why would anyone object? I figure if they didn't want others to see their quilt, they wouldn't have posted it. When anyone clicks on the picture, it will bring them right back to the original post of the picture on the QB.

sometimes I would object.....only because I make many gift quilts and being a board member for many years now when I finish one I like to show it here....knowing the recipient isn’t a member & wont see it. It would upset me if someone here decided to pin it to their public Pinterest or anywhere else without asking- waiting until I have given the gift. I guess if we have members who believe they don’t have to ask- they have the right to take someone else’s work & do as they please with it without checking, those of us who create gifts need to not share them. It’s sad- for years I believed one of the best parts of being here was sharing our work with other Quilters.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:48 AM
Power Poster

When something is pinned to pinterest, it appears there as a link to the source. Thus, no one is posting your actual picture. Just as here on the QB... links to pictures are fine but copying the picture and posting it here is a violation of the creator's rights. We just don't have a 'button' to accomplish that.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:34 AM

I'd be honored that someone wanted to pin my quilt. You don't need to ask my permission to do so.

It would be nice for someone to say on my thread where I posted the picture that they liked it enough to pin it. I've seen my quilts on Pinterest before. No one has ever let me know that they did it. I consider that rude, but I don't lose any sleep over it.