Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pins and sewing machines >

Pins and sewing machines

Pins and sewing machines

Old 03-11-2009, 11:33 AM

I never sew over my pins, I think for the cost of any repairs, possible part of a sewing needle stuck somewhere on my face or body, it is not worth it. I do not want to damage my machine no matter how old or new it is. If I have seams to match up, I put pins in them and when I get close to it, I remove the pin and use a stiletto to guide it through under the presser foot. It has worked for me and if it works, don't fix it.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:08 PM

I don't like to sew over pin afraid of tearing up the machine
Old 03-11-2009, 01:44 PM

:shock: I DO both, sewing over them and pulling them. I went to Home Ec. so long ago (yes, we had electric plug in machines, but electricity was new to our area :lol: )

However, I'm getting away from using the pins except for basting. I broke 5 needles ( :roll: ) on the guilting of my great-niece quilt and didn't hit one pin. Something is off somewhere!! I had just had it cleaned, oiled, and checked over by my favorite sewing machine repairman, so I don't know what I was doing. Probably pulling from the back. I do try hard to keep my left hand beside the machine because I try to hurry things sometimess. :wink:

Hugs,
Sharon
Old 03-11-2009, 02:30 PM

I'm like crashnquilt. I sew over my pins all the time and just slow it down when I get to the pin. The only time I use pins if I need to "marry" the seems. Other wise I don't pin.

I figure if you need to pin why would you take them out before you get to them. Never had a problem with needles or the machine.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:30 PM

Tell us about using glue! I just read about a way to use glue for binding and it sounded great. I'm wondering how you use the glue for piecing.

I have sewn over pins for 40+ years. It was never a problem with my mom's Singer 301 (which I am currently using for piecing). I did lose a machine (15 yo inexpensive White) when too many broken pins/needles killed the timing.

~monica
Old 03-11-2009, 02:33 PM

I use a Singer Featherweight 221 machine and silk pins. Sew over them regularly. Sometimes they do bend or get marks; but, my machine needle never breaks. The thicker glass headed pins I use to match points; but, on either side of the point I use the silk pins and remove the glass headed pin as I go over the point -- most of the time my points are perfect. I do have to replace some of the silk pins as they are bent or rough.

I have a newer machine also but tend to use it less frequently. My friends at the local quilt shop that I bought the machine from agree that the newer machines aren't quite as forgiving as the older ones.

Linda
W. PA, USA
Old 03-11-2009, 04:59 PM

PLease remove your pins or you might do harm to your machine.ialmost learned the hard way.an my machine cost me a pretty penny i got it after my dad passed away .i know it would have benn something he would have approved of with all the sewing i do.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:56 PM

I was watching Alex Anderson one day and she said she sewed over a pin with her Bernina and it had to go back to the factory for repair... ouch.
I haven't even thought about trying it since I heard that. Quilter 1234
Old 03-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Power Poster

this is always a question which seems to depend on personal preference, but , being a "safety comes first" type of person...i always tell everyone to remove those pins...ever hit one, break your needle and have half a needle flying through the air at your eyes? not a very good scenerio...has happened to me...luckily i was wearing my glasses and the broken needle bounced off my glasses...it was a lesson which i have never forgotten, it's either remove the pins or wear safety goggles :? also, sewing machine repairs can get pretty expensive especially when you throw out the timing...the thought of my machine being out of commission for days, or weeks is too much to even think about.
safety first...then its more fun! :)
Old 03-11-2009, 08:39 PM

If you are sewing together blocks try a piece of scotch tape with one end folded over to make an easy tab for removing the tape. when paper piecing or putting together seam binding, i never use pins, they distort the fabric.
a little 2 to 3 inch piece of tape can be used about 10 times before you need another short piece. Don't sew through the tape, place it so the 2 pieces of fabric are held in alignment.