Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pins and sewing machines >

Pins and sewing machines

Pins and sewing machines

Old 03-11-2009, 11:04 PM

I don't use pin very much, but when I do I usually either remove them just before I get there or stop just short and go stitch by stitch to make sure the needle will pass over the pin.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:42 AM

I was taught to pin from the fabric towards the raw edges. I have never broken a needle this way. I HAVE broken them pinning from the raw edges towards body of fabric. I seldom pin anymore unles it is a tricky curve or something. Just my 2 cents worth. :roll:
Old 03-12-2009, 03:11 PM

Here's my 2 cents.

I wear glasses with bifocals, but I am still more comfy piecing without my glasses on and my forehead smack up against the machine.

I try to pin, but to keep the point on the outer edge of the 1/4" line so it's easier to pull. While I am right-handed, I pin lefty and just stop, wind my arm around and pull the pin when the needle is even with it. My late MIL said you can't hurt anything sewing over a pin on an older machine as it is built tougher than these new ones.

So...I decided to give this bifocal thing a try since it had helped for the rest of my vision. There I was sewing along and decided to leave the pin in. I didn't slow down or anything. There was this horrendous noise. The machine needle broke, came flying at me and hit me right in the glasses....which I only happened to be wearing. The pin was bent in this strange S shape and I had to dig it out from behind my bobbin case. I was so scared I hurt my machine. Luckily, it was alright.

I have never sewn over another pin....but I still don't piece with my glasses on. I guess I'm just weird. :roll:
Old 03-12-2009, 04:57 PM

I was always told not to sew over pins. I guess you can break a needle. It's not a good idea. I've been using a fabric glue stick to hold things in place.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:43 AM

My experience on that was to sew w/my pins in and move forward...until...I busted a needle on my machine that hit so hard it broke in half and flung the one half right into my eye...and if I didn't have my glasses on.....I wouldn't be able to see to type this!:0)At least w/one eye. So, I learned my lesson and don't have to learn it twice-I take them out as I go now.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:52 AM

If I have pinned to keep my seams matched I usually go very slowly over the pin, otherwise I remove the pin just before I get to it. Makes life a little easier and no broken pins or needles. :roll:
Old 03-13-2009, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
Here's my 2 cents.

I wear glasses with bifocals, but I am still more comfy piecing without my glasses on and my forehead smack up against the machine.

I try to pin, but to keep the point on the outer edge of the 1/4" line so it's easier to pull. While I am right-handed, I pin lefty and just stop, wind my arm around and pull the pin when the needle is even with it. My late MIL said you can't hurt anything sewing over a pin on an older machine as it is built tougher than these new ones.

So...I decided to give this bifocal thing a try since it had helped for the rest of my vision. There I was sewing along and decided to leave the pin in. I didn't slow down or anything. There was this horrendous noise. The machine needle broke, came flying at me and hit me right in the glasses....which I only happened to be wearing. The pin was bent in this strange S shape and I had to dig it out from behind my bobbin case. I was so scared I hurt my machine. Luckily, it was alright.

I have never sewn over another pin....but I still don't piece with my glasses on. I guess I'm just weird. :roll:
sounds most like me...my machines cost way too much, my glasses were 400.00...and this is the only pair of eyes I have and they are not perfect. Besides, I go barefoot a lot and so does grandbaby. What if you can't find a piece right away. Nope, a cautious gal here. :wink:
Old 10-29-2010, 10:40 PM

im looking for one inch foam for sticking into pins when i pin my quilt layers together I saw them on this web sight a few weeks back some one recomended them