Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pins or Spray?

I only use the basting spray on very very small things like potholders, placemats and small wall hangings. It didn't hold well at all on a couple of baby quilts I tried it on before I got my Fun Quilter.

I use both. I spray and then I don't have to pin as much. Last summer, I sprayed a queen size stairway to heaven and used less than 30 pins. It lasted very well. Never gummed up my needle and the quilt was just as soft after I washed it than if I hadn't used the spray at all.

I don't pin at all on smaller projects.

I have been using the spray I get at JoAnn's, because I can buy it with a coupon. I love it! I used it on a queen size quilt, but did pin the edges to keep them in place. Nothing shifted, no wrinkles on the back. It works great! Now I use it on everything; I will NEVER go back to pinning the entire quilt (which I hated doing)!

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    The spray basting washes out but I've found that I still need to thread baste or pin if it's a fairly large project. The spray pretty much just holds it in place so that it doesn't shift as you pin. Or maybe I'm not using it right, I don't know.
    I agree. I spray and then pin. the spray just helps hold stuff together until the pins get in. In small projects, like an placemat, maybe, spraying might be all you need.

As the minister said, "Lets us Spray!" I always spray, no matter what the project. Take it outside, and then spray LIGHTLY. I do give the edges a little extra, just for good measure. I have never had a problem of any kind.

I am converted to basting spray. I used to do pins but the spray works soooo well! Just be sure and shake it up for the full 2 minutes and keep it about a foot above the piece you are spraying............in other words...........be sure to follow the simple directions. Sure saves a lot of time. I use an old sheet underneath to catch the overspray as it can gum things up.

Fox
    I wish I could remember where I read it, because there was a comparison of sprays and what they did to the fabric. Some of the cheaper sprays can actually yellow the fabric if not washed out soon after application. I believe the article said that the Sulky brand was the best.

I love using the spray for wall hangings or table runners. Haaven't had any problem with it not washing out, as I usually always wash my finished project. Just like the looks after the cotton batting shrinks a little. :0) Gives it the 'old quilt' look.

Love the spray basting-hold about 6 inches from fabric and
    spray lightly , then smooth out onto your backing---do away with all the pinning .Much faster and neat .
    Cleo

Well, I am a fairly new quilter. I have hand basted, used the pins and used the 505 spray.
    The hand basting takes forever, the pins I didn't like at all, but basting with the 505 glue spray was absolutely perfect. I will never again hand baste or use the pins.
    Try the 505, you'll like it!

Blog Entries
    I have used both. I found a u-tube that uses basting method with thread. Just google "how to baste a quilt." I used this method for the first time on the piece I am working on now. I really like this a lot better than pins or spray. I am hand quilting and not machine quilting. However she states that this can be used for either method of quilting.

The first time I used the spray, I think I sprayed it on too thick. It seemed to mess up my needle. The second time I used it, I sprayed it lighter and it seemed to work fine. I don't use it if I don't have to, but when I do, it works. Unlike pins, you can sew over it and I have a hard time remembering to remove pins until I have broken my needle and messed up my machine.

I love the spray. I use it all thr time and find that I don't have tp pin.

I love the spray. I use it all thr time and find that I don't have tp pin.

Quote Originally Posted by SuziC
    I have never used the basting spray before and wanted to get some advice. I bought basting spray for my next quilt buy am hesitant. I have always used pins to baste. Is it as easy as it sounds and does it really hold the layers together? I guess i am concerned with chemicals on the fabric. What are your thoughts?
    I use basting spray all of the time. I generally buy the cheapest one on the market and have never had a problem. The only precautions I make: Spray in a well - ventilated area, protect the area surrounding the quilt (I generally use paper), wear a mask and don't start quilting until 24 hours after you have put the sandwich together. That way, the glue does not gum up anything. I generally do a few long basting lines across the quilt and down the quilt before I start to quilt, just to make sure everything stays square. They are easily pulled - out before I put the binding on.
    p.s. It is best to use cotton or wool batting, as I think that the spray could tend to melt the synthetic stuff. You should spray on the fabric and not the batting if you are using the synthetic variety.

Power Poster
    I don't know why but I still pin.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I have started to baste with long straight pins. It's fast and so much easier. I bought a package of these:
    http://www.pinmoor.com/ (watch the video)
    then ordered several more packages. They stay on the pins and do not come off until I take them off.
    Those are very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox
    I wish I could remember where I read it, because there was a comparison of sprays and what they did to the fabric. Some of the cheaper sprays can actually yellow the fabric if not washed out soon after application. I believe the article said that the Sulky brand was the best.
    Will you post a link if you find it. Thanks!!!

I have never used it myself, but from doing all the read on this thread I'm told that basting sprays can be very sticky for the machine needle. I have always used quilting pins myself. I think they are great.

I've used it once, with a poly batting on a small quilt for my grandson & it worked just fine.

I use both

The brand makes all the difference. If you use 505 you will never use pins again. It holds for years, does not shift, does not leave any residue and is so easy to sew!

Blog Entries
    Tippy
    Thanks for the link www.sewforless.com. I just ordered 12 - 17oz. cans of 505 spray for $153.94. with free shipping. (over $149.00) That makes it only $12.83 a can.That is less than I have paid for the small can. Can you tell I love spray basting my quilts. I have never had any problems when using 505.
    Lorraine

I have used Sharon Schambers way of sanwiching the quilt and basting, works great. Doesn't take too long either. My friend uses the spray baste and loves it. She hand quilts. I am going to try the spray baste next time with Sharon's sandwiching method and see if it works. If the spray works, it will take less than 30 minutes to do it all.

i use the spray baste , generally 505 i will never pin a quilt again !! ive used it to hold together from baby quilts to king size quilts with no problem and sometimes it has taken me up to a few weeks to quilt it and the spray is still holding it together and yes once you are done and wash the quilt the spray is gone also no chemicals left on the quilt nake sure the spray you by is for quilting or material ect i read where someone else sprayed there quilt but the spray glue they used was not for this purpose

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast