Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Pins or Spray?

I will never use pins again. I have been using spray for several years now. I like it so much better. The quilt doesn't move while I am sewing on it. It makes it easy for me. You need to make sure it is in a well ventilated area while using the spray though.

Quote Originally Posted by SuziC
    I have never used the basting spray before and wanted to get some advice. I bought basting spray for my next quilt buy am hesitant. I have always used pins to baste. Is it as easy as it sounds and does it really hold the layers together? I guess i am concerned with chemicals on the fabric. What are your thoughts?

I always use spray, that's the way I was taught to quilt. I have never used pins to baste my quilts.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

I have been using spray for a couple of years, with great success. It has been great even on King size quilts. Do use a good quality/brand .

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    You might try Sharon Schamber's basting method. She doesn't use any spray or pins and it makes the quilt sandwich very smooth and it doesn't shift at all. A friend did two good size quilts at the retreat we went to and had one of them half quilted by the time we left. To see videos of her method go to youtube and put her name in the search.
    HERE HERE!!! She's WONDERFUL , so easy and no anxious times, can't speak highly enough of her method , before I found this very very stressful and tiring.

I have used it but used pins too. I think i would probably work no pins for small projects.
    Judy in Ohio

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mayday
    You might try Sharon Schamber's basting method. She doesn't use any spray or pins and it makes the quilt sandwich very smooth and it doesn't shift at all. A friend did two good size quilts at the retreat we went to and had one of them half quilted by the time we left. To see videos of her method go to youtube and put her name in the search.
    HERE HERE!!! She's WONDERFUL , so easy and no anxious times, can't speak highly enough of her method , before I found this very very stressful and tiring.
    Yes exactly. This is the method that I was talking about on page 1 that you should look up. I used this method on the small quilt that I am working on now. I just love it. Made things so much easier. I would recommend this to everyone. JUST WONDERFUL!!!!

Once I tried the spray, I've never gone back to all-overpinning. However, I do pin around the outside edges even with the spray. I've used the 505, which I like but hate the fact that it is highly flammable. I recently ran out of 505 and remembered someone here had mentioned AquaNet hairspray. I did have some, tried it, and it works great! I'm going to stick with that and it is much less expensive than 505.

cka

Talk about flammable...we use aquanet to fire our potato guns! I've used Sulky and something called quilter's companion. I thought both products held the fabric sandwich nicely, but the overspray from quilter's companion left sticky all over the place. Haven't found a safe way to clean it off.

cka

Oh yeah...aqua net is also a great to spray your hair with while camping to keep mosquitoes and black fly out of your hair and off your neck.

np3
    Blog Entries
    This is a great method.

505 spray and a few pins. Never a pucker on the back.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3