Pins

Old 05-12-2024, 09:34 AM

Default Pins

Just wondering, do you use the fine pins with the white head, the extra fine with the dark blue head, or the extra, extra fine with the clear head? Or, are you a brave non-pinner?

I find the extra fine (dark blue) best because they don't distort the fabric as much as the fine (white), but are noticeably firmer than the extra extra.
Old 05-12-2024, 11:05 AM

It all depends on the size of the pieces I'm sewing if I go without pins. I use the fine pins with the white head. I really didn't know there was much of a difference between fine and extra fine pins. I may have to buy some now.

Edited to add: I just googled extra fine pins and they have white heads on them, Dritz brand. They have glass heads on them. I wonder if that's what I have now? Hmmm

Last edited by Christine-; 05-12-2024 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-12-2024, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

I still use my flat flower head pins the most.
Old 05-12-2024, 12:01 PM

I don’t have the packaging so I don’t know exactly what I have, but I use the very fine extra long pins with the tiny glass heads. I think they are Clover brand? I’m not normally a pinner, but some construction really needs to be stabilized while sewing. I started with the flower head pins, but the ones I use now create less distortion of the fabric.
Old 05-12-2024, 12:43 PM

Diehard pinner here and I prefer the super fine pins!
Old 05-12-2024, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

I detset pins. I always get pricked and it hurts. I use the large yellow head pin on my design wall. I have all types of pins stuck in pin cushions. I rarely use them. I use Wonder Clips or small magnets to hold fabric together.
Old 05-12-2024, 03:42 PM

I only use pins in rare occasions. I prefer to finger pin most of the time. I just align the seams properly a short distance before and stitch. When I use pins, I find I generally have to finger pin anyway after I align the seams. Now when I am sewing long seams, such as attaching a border, I will pin the beginning and the end, then the middle, then halfway down each half and so further until I have pin as much as I think is necessary, then I ease in the seam as I stitch. oh, and I do have a large assortment of pins, every thing from those big eavy white head pins I use to pin my quilts to the leaders, to yellow flat head ones, the yellow ball head ones, finer black, white, and read pins down to the tiny ones that are about 1/2 inch long and then the two pointed ones. Yep, set up for whatever pin I may need. OK, I like my gadgets almost as much as my fabric stash.

Last edited by sewingpup; 05-12-2024 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-12-2024, 04:40 PM

I only use glass headed pins. My previous favourites were Dritz (red and white glass heads) but after several cracked in both my old package and my new, I switched to Prym and Bohin... they are quality pins this far.
Old 05-12-2024, 07:01 PM

I have a variety of pins - the long thin pins with the tops that withstand the heat of the iron is what I have bought the last few times. They are a bit more expensive but found they work so much better and the iron does glide over them better. They are called Magic pins at the MSQC.
Old 05-13-2024, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
I have a variety of pins - the long thin pins with the tops that withstand the heat of the iron is what I have bought the last few times. They are a bit more expensive but found they work so much better and the iron does glide over them better. They are called Magic pins at the MSQC.
Those pins sound great - will check them out. I also go pinless quite a bit, but I use the flower headed pins whenever I do pin mainly because my older hands can handle them more easily. I have glass-headed fine pins but they aren't as easy to manipulate any more.