Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Pinterest

RST
    Blog Entries
    Anyone else using Pinterest for things quilt related?

I find it's such a convenient way to keep track of patterns and inspiration quilts.

RST

Blog Entries
    what is that?

I just surfed and found it

http://pinterest.com/about/

RST
    Blog Entries
    Relatively new website -- visual bookmarking and organization/ sharing. Check it out -- it's fun.

RST

i use it but havent been on in a few weeks but i love it

Blog Entries
    do you have an account there????

Quote Originally Posted by RST
    Relatively new website -- visual bookmarking and organization/ sharing. Check it out -- it's fun.

RST

I have an account and have been using it to bookmark quilts and other interesting things I find while surfing, it is a handy and visual way to bookmark and find things I want to be able to go back to. My daughter who is an artist invited me to try it- I am still getting the hang of it but like it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    what is that?

I looked it up. Seemed like a great idea. Then, I read the privacy policy. No thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by meemersmom
    what is that?

I looked it up. Seemed like a great idea. Then, I read the privacy policy. No thank you.
    Contacting Us
    If you have any questions about this Privacy Policy, please contact us at [email protected]

I am a member for a bit of time now, and have had no problems at all!!

Blog Entries
    My daughter uses it all the time. She even has one group that says "Projects for Mom to make".

RST
    Blog Entries
    I'm not worried about the privacy policy.

I guess if you were compiling state secrets, it wouldn't be the best place to keep them organized. I'm just pinning stuff from blogs and websites so I can find it again.

The cookies have caused no problems for our computer system, and we've not had any firewall issues.

I do know some people who have made their boards entirely annonymous (switch to using a pseudonym after sign up) but since the whole point is to share your boards and likes with people you know, as well as meet and connect with people who have similar interests and tastes -- well, why would you? Unless you're the one who's guilty of inflicting the ridiculous "Keep Calm and __ " posters on the interwebs ; )

I think it's a great boon for quilters. I wanted to make a quilt for a friend, but I don't have strong sense of her color preferences or style. But after looking through her Pinterest Boards, I have a very good idea of what she likes and can make something that will coordinate perfectly with her new bedroom colors. Just one example.

RST

Blog Entries
    I love Pinterest! I use it to keep track of quilts, recipes, books I'd like to read, projects I'd like to try, etc. I find it's a great alternative to printing things out on paper.

Hmmm...I will have to check it out.

I am not a facebook user, and I don't really feel a need to share all the websites I visit with everyone. I don't need a site that is used for data mining to do this. I bookmark things on my favorites list on my computer. That does everything this site does with the exception of sharing it with anyone who wants to look at it. If I find something on another site I want to check out, I write it on the pad of paper that's in the desk drawer in my office.

RST
    Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure that this site (quilting boards) is used for data mining. Just saying.

But if social networking and sharing is not for you, meemersmom, and what you've got going on right now works for you, it sounds like you're set.

RST

Love it :thumbup: :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by RST
    I'm not worried about the privacy policy.

I guess if you were compiling state secrets, it wouldn't be the best place to keep them organized. I'm just pinning stuff from blogs and websites so I can find it again.

The cookies have caused no problems for our computer system, and we've not had any firewall issues.

I do know some people who have made their boards entirely annonymous (switch to using a pseudonym after sign up) but since the whole point is to share your boards and likes with people you know, as well as meet and connect with people who have similar interests and tastes -- well, why would you? Unless you're the one who's guilty of inflicting the ridiculous "Keep Calm and __ " posters on the interwebs ; )

I think it's a great boon for quilters. I wanted to make a quilt for a friend, but I don't have strong sense of her color preferences or style. But after looking through her Pinterest Boards, I have a very good idea of what she likes and can make something that will coordinate perfectly with her new bedroom colors. Just one example.

RST
    was trying to quote you in my first post.Totally agree with you, I love the site.Have found so many things i love and have made friends there.

Blog Entries
    If they are data mining, they're not getting a lot from me - I only have a user name and a generic email entered, nothing else. You DO have the ability to have your account hidden from searches (i.e. if someone searches for "quilts", any that you have in your account will not be shown), and your email and personal info is never shown publicly.

It is similar to bookmarks on your computer, except Pinterest is visual, which is better for me.

Blog Entries
    I hadn't read the privacy policy yet,

and I agree with you, no thank you

what is that?

I hadn't read the privacy policy yet,

and I agree with you, no thank you

what is that?

I have to agree with both of you.

I am and enjoy it

I prefer Diigo.com

DD uses it to pin all her wedding ideas on.

piney

Nothing is private on the web. I can find posts and quilts from this board--or any other --just by googling.
    How many times have I seen posts with links which will take you to another site. You don't know if, what you are opening is safe.
    As long as you run a good security and virus program you should not have a problem.

Blog Entries
    I knew about Pinterest but have never checked it out. One more site to keep me at the computer and not sewing in NOT what I need! LOL!!

Blog Entries
    No, thank you. Privacy Policy says they will get your "real" name and info from FB or whichever site you might use to sign in with. I have created folders in "Favorites" and can look at any time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast