Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011  NEW >

Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011 NEW

Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011 NEW

Old 02-04-2011, 04:04 PM

Yes, I would love to try. Is there anything special we need, like a pattern? Once we get the78 blocks done, then do each of us decide to make our own quilt and put on this board for display? What is the objective?
Old 02-04-2011, 04:05 PM

Yes, I would love to try. Is there anything special we need, like a pattern? Once we get the78 blocks done, then do each of us decide to make our own quilt and put on this board for display? What is the objective?
Old 02-04-2011, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by susiequilt
Welcome all of you!
I made a test block today using the sew around the edge method.
I started with an 8 inch block expecting to end with a 9 1/2" unfinished block. It came out 10" which would make a 9 1/2" finished block. I have no idea why.
I rewatched the video and noticed near the end when she was just finished sewing the block together that she said the block could be 5 1/2" or 6" block depending on the size block you start with. She started with a 5" charm block so I don't know why she didn't know how much the block would measure.

I'm confused now but I will make another over the weekend and see what that measures.
It won't matter to me what size they end up AS LONG AS THEY ARE ALL THE SAME SIZE!

Has anyone else tried a block?
I don't know if the chart is wrong but it must be, it couldn't be me! :-D
I am going to make a test block tomorrow. I am going to use layer cakes. I have one pack and just ordered another. A friend wants a queen size quilt for her bed, so I am using Moda Origins. Figure I will need the 2nd pack. Have some matching yardage for borders and backing. This should be so much fun, as I have never done anything like this before. One a day, huh?
Old 02-04-2011, 04:14 PM

I'm in, for better or worse. There's this little voice in the back of my head asking why in the world do I want to take on another ongoing project. Luckily, I know where the mute button is for that fella!
Old 02-04-2011, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by gwena
Any pinwheel pattern you would like to try is OK. There have been a few posted here if you look back.
This is not a swap. You keep your own blocks. It's for motivation and fun! Hopefully we will keep each other on track.
When you are finished, put your blocks together for a wonderful quilt!
You could add borders or not. It's entirely up to you. Pictures anytime are wonderful!
Welcome
Old 02-04-2011, 04:18 PM

I am going to make a test block tomorrow. I am going to use layer cakes. I have one pack and just ordered another. A friend wants a queen size quilt for her bed, so I am using Moda Origins. Figure I will need the 2nd pack. Have some matching yardage for borders and backing. This should be so much fun, as I have never done anything like this before. One a day, huh?
Great! Please post your finished measurement and any problems you encounter.
Thanks.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:18 PM

I made a test block........using two 8" squares.
The block is 10".
Old 02-04-2011, 04:25 PM

I think the formula for each block should be this:
Whatever you block side is subtract .5 then multiply by 1.4 then subtract .5. Maybe someone could see if that works for their block size.
I'm guessing happens as your using the diameter of the original square less the 1/4 inch sewn around all sides, then minus the 1/2 when you sew those diameters (or think of it as the hypotenuse) sewn back together and losing another 1/2 inch.

Originally Posted by susiequilt
Welcome all of you!
I made a test block today using the sew around the edge method.
I started with an 8 inch block expecting to end with a 9 1/2" unfinished block. It came out 10" which would make a 9 1/2" finished block. I have no idea why.
I rewatched the video and noticed near the end when she was just finished sewing the block together that she said the block could be 5 1/2" or 6" block depending on the size block you start with. She started with a 5" charm block so I don't know why she didn't know how much the block would measure.

I'm confused now but I will make another over the weekend and see what that measures.
It won't matter to me what size they end up AS LONG AS THEY ARE ALL THE SAME SIZE!

Has anyone else tried a block?
I don't know if the chart is wrong but it must be, it couldn't be me! :-D
Old 02-04-2011, 04:35 PM

Yep.... I'm in, sounds fun and a good way to down size my stash :D
Old 02-04-2011, 04:46 PM

I think I will try this. Sounds fun. I will have to learn to post
pictures.