Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011  NEW >

Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011 NEW

Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011 NEW

Old 02-05-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Okay, I cheated and made 2 samples. Glad I did, because I see I made a "mistake" already. I need to reverse the lights and darks after the first one. I don't like the 2 florals being side by side. I started with layer cakes and ended up with 13" blocks. I also did not starch; but will from now on. May also use the walking foot.
Most people try to keep the pinwheels in the same direction but it's not a requirement!
Pretty fabric. The formula for 10 in fabric to start says 12.8 so 13 is acceptable. Just be sure they are ALL the same size to make it easier to put together.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:17 AM

Debbie that is fantastic, what is the name of the pattern?
Old 02-05-2011, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by pinwheelprincess
Yes, when I used 6 1/2' squares, they finished at 8"
6.5 -.5 x1.4 - .5 = 7.9 so 8 is great!
Old 02-05-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by pinwheelprincess
Do all blocks in the same order, then when you lay them side by side the print will be next to floral.
My problem is that with this layer cake set, there are darks, mediums & lights. So I have to decide which will be considered a "solid" and which will be considered a print. I am just trying to go with contrasts. I ordered another set, so I will wait till they come so I can play around a little more. I thought of getting yardage of one of the darks and using that for all the squares, but am trying not to spend a lot of money on this. As it is I will have to order more yardage for the backing.
I love the high contrast with the light and dark but some people like less contrast. It's just a matter of taste! No right or wrong.
Make with what you have until the new set comes in and then mix them up.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Janice Thompson
count me in. I just ran across a pattern using hst to make a baby quilt called rick-rack. I can use 5" squares and sewing around all for edges and cutting from corner to corner X you get four 3" hst.
You'll have to show a picture. It sounds like a great shortcut for the rick rack quilt.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
I used a charm pack & the Missouri Star Quilt tutorial to make this table runner. It was easy, except for areas where the seams build up.
Once you start, it is so rewarding, you'll want to make more than one pinwheel a day!! Have fun.
That's pretty! Good job for a beginner!
Old 02-05-2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by susiequilt
Okay, I cheated and made 2 samples. Glad I did, because I see I made a "mistake" already. I need to reverse the lights and darks after the first one. I don't like the 2 florals being side by side. I started with layer cakes and ended up with 13" blocks. I also did not starch; but will from now on. May also use the walking foot.
Most people try to keep the pinwheels in the same direction but it's not a requirement!
Pretty fabric. The formula for 10 in fabric to start says 12.8 so 13 is acceptable. Just be sure they are ALL the same size to make it easier to put together.
I resewed one of the blocks so they all go right now. And I switched to the 1/4" foot with guide, gives me a more accurate seam. I am making a queen size, so I ordered another pack. It will probably be 7 blocks across x 8 or 9 long, then borders. We'll see.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by JanetWall
Ok now I did this . I used 5 inch square trim from middle out 2 3/4. Then sewed 3 together and the middle block was 5 1/8. Is that right?
In the picture of the three together the outside blocks still have a 1/4" seam allowance so they should be bigger than the middle block if that is what you mean. they look good!
Old 02-05-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by JanetWall
This is the fabric I got. What do you think? The one on the right I will use for all the solid pieces.Let me know if I need to choice something else.Thanks for all the help.
I love the fabric! Just be sure you keep the background in the same spot on all the blocks like you did in your practice piece.
It's going to be lovely when you are done.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by honeydew
I'm in. My blocks will be not be pretty I am going to try using up my ugly FQ.
Most times ugly fabric gets prettier the smaller you cut it!
Think positive! :-D