Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Pivot Function on Sewing Machines

Pivot Function on Sewing Machines

This post is about the "pivot" function on some machines. I have a BL Crescendo and a Brother Dream. These features on similar on both machines.

On the main page of machine there are 4 buttons near left bottom of screen. Here is my description of each one for those that are new to these machines.

The Upside Down "U" button does a back tack.

The scissors will cut the thread when done stitching.

The button with the image of a pressure foot with needle in center is the "pivot" function. It keeps the needle down so you can "pivot" or turn the fabric.

The last button with a red line (looks like a pointer) is the laser light. There are two ways to use this feature. I just press it on and it "points" where the seam is going to stitch.

There is also a way to move the laser pointer.

Hope these tips help!

Rhonda K

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
    .............The button with the image of a pressure foot with needle in center is the "pivot" function. It keeps the needle down so you can "pivot" or turn the fabric.............
    Didn't know the official name was pivot function
    .... I've always heard it referred to as the needle down button.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I have a Pfaff QE 4 and a Janome memory craft 9400. They both have a feature that moves the presser foot up slightly if the needle is in the down position when I touch the foot pedal. It’s great for chain piecing as I can slip the pieces in without needing to use my hands .My dealer referred to this feature as the pivot function.

Go figure.

Quilt E,

Yes, that one too. My local dealer calls it pivot and the machine reference manuals use that term. I didn't use the feature at first and now it's the first button I set on the machine. LOL!

Janie W,

Some of the machines have a preference page where you can set the functions of the foot pedal too. It can be set to either the needle-up or needle down position.