Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Placemats >

Placemats

Placemats

Old 01-30-2019, 04:08 AM

another thought...make sure to trim batting close to edge and corners...makes a difference when turning..
Old 01-30-2019, 05:04 AM

I Hate birthing quilts/placemats, that's why I do separate bindings.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-04-2019 at 04:52 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 01-30-2019, 05:20 PM

I use fusiblefleese and it makes a big difference.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:55 PM

Fleece does not like to take a sharp crease, and that's where your problem is. My projects using fleece have just two layers, top and fleece, and then binding.

I realize that it's probably too late for this, but I found this tutorial very helpful for making placemats and other small quilts bringing the backing fabric to the front to make a narrow border, so I thought I'd share it, at least for future reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfv1_vbrJB4&t=756s

Also, although I like sewingsuz's suggestion of fusible fleece, I imagine it's too late for you to use it on this project. But perhaps there's still a way to unstitch the seams and cut your fleece off inside the stitch line. Then use a washable glue stick to attach it just inside the stitch line. After you turn the placemats you should then iron and topstitch them. Ironing over the washable glue does not release it, as long as you do not use steam. Experiment first with scraps because I have not tried glue stick on fleece, and it may just absorb too much of the glue. Liquid school glue might work. If that fails, hand baste with large stitches near the edge. The idea is to keep it lined up right to the edge but not caught in the stitches. Keep in mind that poly fleece can't take as much heat as we use on our quilter's cotton.

When you turn them (or anything that needs a sharp edge) use a bamboo point turner to run along the seam inside as you iron. It can take the heat and helps to keep the edge neat.

If all else fails, you could just forget about turning and bind them instead. But binding a set of placemats is a big project involving quite a lot of additional time and fabric. I feel for you.

If the current situation with the fabric rolling over a little doesn't result in the entire placemat curling, I think I might just leave it. Pretend you intended it to look like that. A little contrast is not a flaw but a feature.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Marcy J. View Post
I am sewing placemats, line with fleece and of course a backing. After sewing them all around leaving an open space to turn right side out, I am having the most trouble with the backing showing up all around. Is it possible to cut the backing slightly smaller then the top and how would you sew the layers together. My mind is a blank as to a possible solution. Thank you in advance.
This is a little correction to my post, I had used fusible fleece, not the fleece as in blankets. I made a sample using the replies you kind quilters made. I used thin cotton batting, which I put down first, top fabric facing up next and then right side of backing down facing top. I sewed all around, closing the opening for turning, but stitched on back of the placemat. I had been sewing the layers together stitching on the top fabric. This seemed to help. Just a little backing showed in some areas. Hope I made myself clear,