Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Placemats >

Placemats

Placemats

Old 01-28-2019, 11:00 AM

Default Placemats

I am sewing placemats, line with fleece and of course a backing. After sewing them all around leaving an open space to turn right side out, I am having the most trouble with the backing showing up all around. Is it possible to cut the backing slightly smaller then the top and how would you sew the layers together. My mind is a blank as to a possible solution. Thank you in advance.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:15 AM

Place your top face up, then your backing facing the top, and your batting/fleece on top of that (on wrong side of the backing). Sew all round, leaving a gap for turning through. Slipstich the gap closed, and top stitch all round the edge. It will be easier to check that the backing is not too large doing it this way.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:16 AM
Power Poster

Good Luck ....

Sorry, no help here, but I will empathize with you.
The challenge of doing that turn and getting it all smooth and even is
exactly why I prefer to put bindings on placemats and quilts!
Old 01-28-2019, 01:56 PM

Could the fleece lining be a bit stretchy? Perhaps flannel or a thin cotton batt would be easier to control. I admit I love the turning method as it does away with the need for binding.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:58 PM

Do you have a picture to post so we can see the issue? You can iron the open part of the seam line to get definition. Turn right side out. I use steam a seam to close and then top-stitch.

You can use batting and cut a little smaller than placemat. I like fusible batting or just fuse the batting. Stitch the two fabrics WST, turn and top stitch.

One last option for you. Grade out the excess batting around the seam line before you turn.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-28-2019, 05:53 PM

I recently made a placemat with fleece instead of batting and didn't like it at all. I found it didn't lay as flat as my placemats made with cotton batting. I didn't intend to use fleece, just grabbed it by mistake while rooting through my scrap batting bags. I'll be more careful next time.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:09 AM

Yes to charley26's method. Putting the "batt" next to the top fabric will essentially curl that around the seam when turned right side out. That will somewhat push the back under and it isn't as likely to show.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:31 AM

I like sewing the backing in two parts, closed at the edges and open in the middle. Batting 1/4 smaller. Sew all around, then turn and use fusibles to close opening, then press and topstitch 1/8 from edge. Then quilt - sometimes you can plan quilting that goes right down the fold in the back.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:01 AM

I make lots of placemats and they come out very nicely turned...I do not like putting binding and turning is so much faster. First of all..I would never use fleece as a batting...I use Pure and natural 80/20 batting. It stays put while sewing and I do not have to do much basting. I do the same method as described by Charley26...I top stitch all around once it is turned with 1/8" allowance. I do a lot of straight line quilting on these placemats ...many small lines as -per Jaque Gerhing...or even lines one inch apart depending on the design. This batting shrinks a little when you wash the placemat which is good because it gives that crinkle effect we are looking for.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:21 AM

When you stack your face fabric , backing and fleece, make sure that when you sew, that the fleece is down first, then face fabric turned right side up, then backing facing toward the face fabric, and sew around the outer edge. The reason your backing wants to show on the front, is when you birth it, the fleece creates a padding effect along the edges, and makes it show all around. If you stack it the way I said, (it does not matter whether you sew with the fleece on top or bottom) the face fabric will curl more to the back. Problem solved. The fluffiness of fleece or batting creates a “chubby” edge along which ever fabric it is sewn closest to or touching it. It is a physics issue I cannot scientifically explain, but there you have it in quilting terms.

Last edited by madamekelly; 01-29-2019 at 10:24 AM.