Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Placing Insert In Backing Of A Baby Quilt >

Placing Insert In Backing Of A Baby Quilt

Placing Insert In Backing Of A Baby Quilt

Old 04-26-2022, 08:15 AM

Default Placing Insert In Backing Of A Baby Quilt

I am making a couple of tops for baby quilts and using the zig zag rail fence pattern. The squares in the quilt are 3 1/2" when the center of the top is completed. I am using colors from the favorite college team of the parents. The center will be bordered with a print of the college team. Border is planned to be five inches wide when completed. I am just now attempting to cut the fabric for the borders. The fabric has a one way design so I must be careful to cut it correctly. I have to seam the backing for the quilt and the seam will run horizontally. I was thinking about inserting a strip of the team design fabric when piecing the backing. This would hide the seam and make it look like it was an intended design. I have done some research and it is suggested that one adds such inserts at a place other than the center of the back. Have others done this and do you have any suggestions? How wide should the strip be and what are suggestions for placement? Any suggestion appreciated. Finished size will be about 45x52".

Last edited by abc123xyz; 04-26-2022 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-26-2022, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

it is extremely difficult to load a strip or design on a backing on a longarm so that it lines up "exactly" with where one intends it to be in relation to the front.

So - if the inset is offset one way or another - it will more likely look intentional. If the back is loaded an inch or two or three or four "off" one way or another - it really won't matter as far as looking "right".

Old 04-26-2022, 10:10 AM

I have done the same thing, putting an accent fabric across the backing to make it longer. Make it as large as you like. As bearisgray has said, it's hard to keep the section completely level across the back. Plan it to be at a slight angle. I like the back to be not in the center but toward the top. Just my preference.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:27 AM

I think a little off center adds some character to the back and does help to give it a more intentional look. The biggest no-no for longarmers is when the added strips are too near or at the edges of the back.