Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
a plaid question >

a plaid question

a plaid question

Old 07-04-2013, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by eparys View Post
One of my first pieces was a plaid star with plaid sashing. The gold threads of the plaid were obvious and I was concerned about it looking wonky. I "fussy cut" the strips so that the obvious plaid was in the center and not near the edges. Then I used cornerstones - this is the result.
I really like your quilt.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Be prepared, it will be hot, hot, hot. Any chance you could move your trip to the end of October? That's when the big quilt show happens in Houston. I went last year and had a blast.

http://www.quilts.com/home/shows/vie...e=FallFestival
Well Peckish, that was the original plan - San Antonio and Houston Quilt show in October. However DH has a meeting in Houston (I'll be found at the nearest mall or LQS) so won't want to make another trip back so soon after. Maybe next year.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
You could buy a plaid that is printed on the bias. It would lend visual interest and you wouldn't have to worry so much about keeping lines straight.

I just wanted to pass a tip along - one of my favorite ways of adding sashing to a quilt is to sew strips of sashing around each side of every block. When you assemble the rows into a top, all you have to do is make sure you match the seams. I find this much easier than sewing on long strips of sashing, then trying to make sure all the blocks line up exactly even.
I LOVE that way too. So much easier than sewing a long strip of sashing besides matching seam to seam is a lot easier than matching seams with sashing in the middle.