Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Planing on buying a sewing machine... >

Planing on buying a sewing machine...

Planing on buying a sewing machine...

Old 03-03-2017, 06:50 AM

Hi, Monale. I own an ancient Singer 401A with all its bells and whistles. The parts are all metal, and it has been in hospital once in 58 years. You should be able to find one for $300.00. This machine will do everything a newer machine will but you have to use cams and the settings on the front. I used to say that if the house caught fire, that would be one of the first items I'd grab. Our local flea market booth has several to sell.
Good luck.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:52 AM

I think you wouldn't be disappointed in Brother, Janome Gem, or a Juki in your price range. I would steer clear of Singer. Some people love them, but the newer low-end models don't have a good reputation. Pfaff has a Passport that I think I would check into if I were looking for a low-end quality machine.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:13 AM

I agree with carolynjo about the Singer 401. I have a Viking with more stitches, but for good dependable sewing, piecing and quilting, I love my 401. I bought my first 401 new then gave it to my daughter. Not a good move. I picked up a used 401 on ebay awhile back, and it is still going strong. There's a lot to be said for mechanical machines.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:36 PM

Brother machines in other countries have different model numbers than here in the US, I don't recognize the numbers you listed. But I have had very good experiences with low cost Brother machines. (I love sewing machines & keep machines at my 3 daughter's homes for when I visit & also buy them for my granddaughters, plus my own collection) I also love the lower cost Janome's and have heard good things about Juki's but don't have personal experience.