Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Planning a couple of I-Spy Quilts >

Planning a couple of I-Spy Quilts

Planning a couple of I-Spy Quilts

Old 07-10-2017, 06:19 PM

I made one for my grand-nephew. I used 5" squares. It looks like a disappearing 9 patch, but I made it in strips instead. There is a 5" swap in progress on this site. Summer 2017 I Spy Swap. It finishes on 8/15/17. I just sent my swap squares today. You send in 8 packages of 10 each squares. So, you're buying either 8 fat quarters or 8 1/3 yard piece of "I spy' fabric and you'll get back 80 different squares. (If you use the 1/3 yard, you'll have some squares left over.)

There are also ongoing swaps on https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ISpyQuilts/info. We just finished a 6 1/2" animal swap (mailed out today). The next one is a general swap.

I'm really pleased with the quilt I made. I'm an amateur, so I still have a lot to learn.

bkay
[ATTACH=CONFIG]576275[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0963a.jpg  
Old 07-10-2017, 06:26 PM
Power Poster

I made this one from rectangles - many of them were leftovers from fussy cutting.

I Spy Quilt form Rectangles
Old 07-11-2017, 02:48 AM

This comment is coming from a teacher with a teacher's perspective. Don't worry about making the squares large. 2.5 squares are just fine. Think of children's toys, games and books. Children like the tiny just as much as big. The child will learn to search by looking at the details and use two of each fun fabric. They will then find the two that are alike! Teachers created opportunities for little ones to match items all the time. (I made one of the Bridal Blue quilts, all 2.5 squares, and the adult I gave it to loved searching for the matches.) Children learn by matching details in objects and what a fun way to bring pleasure, adventure and lots of snuggles to a child than with an interesting "I Spy". Have fun quilty friends!
Old 07-11-2017, 02:49 AM

Bearisgray, I like your quilt! What fun to search!
Old 07-11-2017, 03:08 AM

I used a disappearing 9 patch to make an I Spy quilt. It made its own block borders and came out cute. Easy block to do.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:46 AM

I found I spy charm packs online.....Amazon I think.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:32 AM

what a fabulous idea using the D9P.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
This comment is coming from a teacher with a teacher's perspective. Don't worry about making the squares large. 2.5 squares are just fine. Think of children's toys, games and books. Children like the tiny just as much as big. The child will learn to search by looking at the details and use two of each fun fabric. They will then find the two that are alike! Teachers created opportunities for little ones to match items all the time. (I made one of the Bridal Blue quilts, all 2.5 squares, and the adult I gave it to loved searching for the matches.) Children learn by matching details in objects and what a fun way to bring pleasure, adventure and lots of snuggles to a child than with an interesting "I Spy". Have fun quilty friends!
Make sure your images are small enough to fit into the square you intend to use. You could end up with a bunch of fabrics that have to be fussy cut to the the image in the square.

bkay
Old 07-11-2017, 01:55 PM

I spy is my favorite quilt, so maybe I'm over posting on this subject. However, I bought an I Spy layer cake from Missouri Star Quilt. It was on one of those deal of the day several months ago. I have not used it yet, but checked it for duplicates and I think they are all unique fabrics (there appear to be 2 dog fabrics in there). Since you are making 2 quilts, that might work for a French Braid quilt. Another thing you can do is make a matching game. You use 2 of each fabric so you can play both I spy and you can find the matching squares/strips.

Also, on our Yahoo I spy swap group, we will be doing a Jelly Roll I spy swap in November.

bkay
Old 07-11-2017, 04:17 PM

At the shop, we have an Accuquilt Studio with a tumbler die. So we cut 7" tumblers of 65 different novelty prints. I figured that if we sewed 8 rows with 8 tumblers each, and added a 6" border, it should measure about 45" X 60". You could use border fabric that represented the child's interests.