Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Planning a road trip - Where to stop? >

Planning a road trip - Where to stop?

Planning a road trip - Where to stop?

Old 02-27-2016, 04:11 AM
Power Poster

I would Google the areas you will be in and they at least will show you info on which quilts shops are located near your route. Have fun.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Stashelf View Post
There are quit a few shops in Knoxville. Gina's, Midsouth Sewing, Mammaw's, Best Machines. There are a few in North Knoxville also. Gaitlinburg is an hour away and the cherry pit and mountain quilts by sue are there. If you are going to be in the area March 16-19 there is a quilt show in Pigeon Forge (near Gatlinburg). Enjoy. Our weather right now is the upper 50s, low 60s so great for shopping.
If nothing else, your temps sound wonderful! We are still in the 20's with lots of snow on the ground. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian View Post
Once you get to Daytona take 92 southwest to Deland. The Quilt Shop of Deland is owned by teacher and fabric/pattern designer Judy Hansen. Great shop, always lots going on, they'll do on the spot demos, great selection. Deland is a wonderful town, great shops, eateries, Stetson University and the Stetson Mansion. http://www.quiltshopofdeland.com/tha...c940e10fb1483f
Thanks Cybrarian. Just checked out the website and looks very nice. Hopefully we can get that way.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:30 AM

Dizzy Divas in Knoxville. Love that store.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:05 AM

In Jacksonville, FL, there is Lady Bug Quilt Shop and Cinnamons Quilt Shop, which are not too far off I-95. There are several other shops but they are several miles from I-95. In St. Augustine, FL, there is Bee's Quilt Shop, which is several miles off I-95. I don't know how far off route you want to get but these are three you could visit.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:07 AM

Fabric Shack in Waynesville. You can make an entire day of it if you like antiquing. If you like decorator fabrics, there is also a decorator fabric store in Waynesville.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian View Post
Once you get to Daytona take 92 southwest to Deland. The Quilt Shop of Deland is owned by teacher and fabric/pattern designer Judy Hansen. Great shop, always lots going on, they'll do on the spot demos, great selection. Deland is a wonderful town, great shops, eateries, Stetson University and the Stetson Mansion. http://www.quiltshopofdeland.com/tha...c940e10fb1483f
Cybrarian has this right. If you do get to DeLand, just a few miles down the road there's another quilt shop in Orange City. Nice, but totally different than the DeLand shop. Worth the extra 8-10 miles.
Also, Google "quilt shops in FL" or whatever state and check them out that way. If you come down the coast from Charleston, there are some nifty shops near Jacksonville (Orange Park, Palatka). There are shops in the Daytona area, but I haven't been able to explore them. Enjoy your trip.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:46 AM

Here are places I recommend:

Dephines in Gaylord about 2 hours south of the bridge...(about 8 minutes off I75)

Bittersweet Quilt Shop in Pinconning (about 5 minutes off I75)

The Bay City, Saginaw, Midland area have quite a few shops. Material Mart would be my choice if you had to choose only one.

I'm not familiar with any more shops off I75 south of Saginaw.

Fabric Shack is in Ohio....I haven't been there but hear it's a worth the stop. If you call them, they can tell you of a nice place to eat nearby.

In Knoxville there is Mammaw's Thimble Fabric & Quilt Shop.

Summerville, SC is a pleasant town with Sew 'N Sew

Middleton Plantation is an interesting visit with a nature area near by. There's a short trail to stretch your legs.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:11 AM

If you ever go through NC on I85, do stop at Gastonia, Cox Road, Exit 20 or 21, for MaryJo's Fabrics. You can spot the store from the highway. Wow, what an amazing selection of quality quilting fabrics at excellent prices. She carries all kinds of fabric--bridal, home deco, etc.--but it is the largest selection of quilting fabric that I have ever seen!
Old 02-28-2016, 06:39 AM

Delphines in Gaylord is one of my favorite Michigan shops. The Sugar Bowl restaurant and a candy shop are just around the corner and if you park in the lot behind you can get to all three very easily.