Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A plea for help with a little bit of background story >

A plea for help with a little bit of background story

A plea for help with a little bit of background story

Old 03-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Power Poster

Welcome John. So sorry for your loss. You could use a dinner plate to trace your outside ring and a salad plate (or bowl) for the "thickness" of the ring.

Cut it out carefully.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by PicklesPimento
one very important thing i stupidly left out. the circle needs to be made out of several different blue fabrics. So, i have to build that too and don't know how to cut out shapes to make a circle.

kind of a key point to leave out, no?

i'm an idiot sometimes.
Very sorry for your loss. :cry:

If I understand correctly, you want a circle that has different blue fabrics in it.

Are you willing to try a technique? There' a link for paper piecing on the main page. I would first draw out my circle and then you need to determine what size you want each different fabric to be or by the number of different blues you have. You could draw the lines onto the paper circle. Then you sew the fabric to the paper and when its done peel off the paper and you have your blue multi-colored circle to sew to your top.

Hope this helps! If I confused you PM me and I'll try to explain myself better.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:20 AM

I forgot about the circle!!!! :oops: At the stores they have rolls of paper that kids use. I would cut to the desired say height (5'). Then if you remember as a kid, we would fold in 1/2, then in 1/2 again, and so on till to reached a size that would be workable. Then put your curve on with pencil and then say go down about 10" and place the other curve. Cut along lines and you should have your donut.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:34 AM
farscapegal

I am so sorry for your loss John. I think you are doing a really great thing finishing this quilt.

Sybil

Old 03-07-2010, 06:01 AM

It's easier to fold the paper in forths and put the center where the folds meet. That way you only have to draw a quarter of a circle. Then with the paper still folded you can cut out the entire circle. Since I hate cutting that's the kind of short cut I take.

Bless you for taking the time to do this.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:03 AM

I would use the string and circle method to make a template on cardboard, since you are going such a large scale. (If it were smaller, I'd suggest freezer paper) I would wrap the fabric around the cardboard template and starch the thing til it holds its shape before pinning to the quilt. You will need to clip some places to ease it around the arc.

I almost think spray basting glue would work better at that point, if the blue line in your picture is thick enough.

Good luck with it. It sounds striking.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:36 AM

Im sorry for your loss. loss is a great motivator. you find you are capable of things you didnt know you had in you.

I hope I can help you with your quilting question
ok! use the string idea to draw your circle, I use newspaper taped together, and a big marker. its super cheap! then you can draw how big you want your smaller pieces to be. dont cut up your circle, you want it for referance later. get printer paper and trace each section and number so they dont get mixed up, then add your seam allowance on to each piece. when your fabric pieces are all sewn together you can use your newspaper circle to compare the fabric circle and do any trimming or resewing that is needed.
Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-1178.png  
Old 03-07-2010, 07:57 AM

John,
I am sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my husband of 33+ years last Aug after 15 years with Common Variable Immune deficeincy- also an autoimmune disease. It is very hard to lose the person you love. I hope working on this will help.
I would use basting spray to put the circle on your quilt top then use a tight zigzag. I recommend practicing with a smaller circle on scrap fabric.
Wishing you peace from your memories.
Jo Ann
Originally Posted by PicklesPimento
I don't mean to over share, but I'm hoping a sob story might increase the chances someone will take pity on me and offer up some help.

I'm 34-year-old guy whose husband died in January after 5 years with Lou Gehrig's disease. He was endlessly and uniquely creative and I miss him terribly. One of his ideas near the end of his life involved quilting. He had squares cut out and a concept fully formed before his arms stopped working. Taking care of him by myself, I didn't have the time to learn to sew. I have never sewn a single stitch and I still don't know how to sewn on a button, but I've been sewing non-stop for a week straight. I've finished up both sides of the quilt and its huge…..mammoth…..more than king size.

Now here's the deal, I need apply over one of the sides, a very large perfect circle (or at least as close to as perfect as possible). Probably 4-5 ft in diameter and 8-10 inches thick. How do I sew the cirle and then how do I sew it on top of the existing side? I'm at a loss.

Please help.

Your pal,

John
Old 03-07-2010, 08:41 AM

John: I'm not much help I started quilting last june. But I am so sorry for your loss. I do have alot of knowledge of sewing smarts, as I have been making clothes for many years for my children and grand children. If I can anwer any questions I'm happy to help you. Again don't hesatate to ask , we are all here. :) :) :)
Old 03-07-2010, 11:54 AM

John,
So sorry for your loss, and welcome to the wonderful world of quilting!!!
Now that we understand what you are after, (basically, a large Letter O or Zero ) it sounds like you've been given all sorts of great advice!!!

Good luck with it, and continue to pester us for more help...and don't forget, PHOTOS are required when you are done!!
Good luck!