Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please Advise Technique for "Square in a Square" Block >

Please Advise Technique for "Square in a Square" Block

Please Advise Technique for "Square in a Square" Block

Old 12-11-2011, 02:25 PM

Default Please Advise Technique for "Square in a Square" Block

I am starting the cutest quilt, and it uses a "square in a square" block. The instructions say to start with a 4.75" square and sew a 3 and 7/8" triangle to each side. So I think that means that I would be sewing the bias edge of a triangle to each side of the square, which is cut on the straight grain. The goal is to end up with a block that is 6.5" square, and the block would not have any bias edges when finished.

Are there any tips that I should know before starting this process? It seems to me that I should start out with triangles a bit larger, so that I can trim the whole block down to 6.5". Or if my triangles are cut accurately and the seams are 1/4", can I count on the block coming out accurately? Because of the bias, should I sew with the triangle on top of the square or the square on top of the triangle? Would you recommend starching the triangle pieces before sewing?

The left side of the picture in my post shows one of three different sets of these "square in a square" blocks. I will need to make 30 altogether. The right side of my picture shows a small portion of the quilt, but you can see how the "square in a square" block works in. I think this will be a fun quilt to make -- it is simpler than it looks, with each of the blocks being 6.5". My focus fabric is a black and white cow outline print with primary color cows. The "square in a square" is a black and white cowhide print with red and blue bandana corners.

Thanks for any tips you can give me.

Dayle
Attached Thumbnails squareinasquare.jpg  
Old 12-11-2011, 02:42 PM

Hope this helps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzM5P1EW4h0&feature=fvsr
Old 12-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

QuiltersCache has square in a square PP blocks that lets you create them with precision
Old 12-11-2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
I am starting the cutest quilt, and it uses a "square in a square" block. The instructions say to start with a 4.75" square and sew a 3 and 7/8" triangle to each side. So I think that means that I would be sewing the bias edge of a triangle to each side of the square, which is cut on the straight grain. The goal is to end up with a block that is 6.5" square, and the block would not have any bias edges when finished.

Are there any tips that I should know before starting this process? It seems to me that I should start out with triangles a bit larger, so that I can trim the whole block down to 6.5". Or if my triangles are cut accurately and the seams are 1/4", can I count on the block coming out accurately? Because of the bias, should I sew with the triangle on top of the square or the square on top of the triangle? Would you recommend starching the triangle pieces before sewing?

The left side of the picture in my post shows one of three different sets of these "square in a square" blocks. I will need to make 30 altogether. The right side of my picture shows a small portion of the quilt, but you can see how the "square in a square" block works in. I think this will be a fun quilt to make -- it is simpler than it looks, with each of the blocks being 6.5". My focus fabric is a black and white cow outline print with primary color cows. The "square in a square" is a black and white cowhide print with red and blue bandana corners.

Thanks for any tips you can give me.

Dayle
to get the lengthwise grain on the outside of a square in a square, you will cut the center square, then cut 2 squares for the corner pcs. stack them and cut diagonally. now you have 4 triangles and their corners are all on straight of grain. Also, I never fool around with all those 'flinky' measurements. 4.75? really? cut the centers 5". now cut the squares for the corner triangles at 4". when cut on the diagonal, the long side will be 5.6 and long enough to match the 5" side of the center square. lay the long side on one of the center square sides...put the point in the center, the ends will hang off a bit, that's fine. now seam, leaving the extra fabric there till all are done. then sit in front of the tv and square them up one evening. be sure to square up so that you have 1/4 in left on the outside of the center square points...you will need that for the next seam... round up all magic square techniques and then square off...they will be perfect every time....
Old 12-11-2011, 03:51 PM

I don't have any advise, but the idea is a great one. I like your choice of fabrics.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Power Poster

I also like to paper piece this block. If you don't, I would recommend starching the pieces. It's okay to cut the outer triangle a little big, but the center square needs to be cut at the correct size to have the final block come out right.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:34 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

I just did 12 of them for block centers and paper pieced them. They came out perfectly. If you intensely dislike paper piecing, be sure to starch.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:19 PM

Thank you, everybody, for the help. I especially appreciate the youtube video and think I will try that method first. If I am not satisfied with the result, I will try the paper piecing. I hope to have a picture of a great quilt when this is finished.

Dayle
Old 12-11-2011, 07:44 PM

When I have to sew a square in a square, I use the same theory as making half square triangles by drawing a line diagonally across the square and sewing 1/4" each side, then cutting them apart.
Instead, draw the line corner to corner on the front of the corner square before you've cut them apart to make triangles. Line the center square up to that line and sew the 1/4" seam. Turn it 180degrees, and sew another center square on the other side of the line . THEN cut them apart along the pencil line. By doing this you've sewn down the bias edges before they are cut, so there is no problem with stretching. Here is a tutorial that shows this technique. http://tjzoriginalz.blogspot.com/201...ways-told.html
Old 12-11-2011, 08:05 PM

I love the square in a square ruler, it makes perfect blocks. I think they have a demo video on their website. Really great ruler