Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Please DON'T let me volunteer again!

Smile Please DON'T let me volunteer again!

The next time I'm asked to teach Girls Scouts how to use a sewing machine, please, please, someone stop me!

Our daughter leads a GS troop of 5 - all 11 years old. So when asked, I said, sure I can do that. So I planned - we'd make pillowcases, right? right. I set up the room so I could see the girls using my old Bernina and also my FW. (They didn't like the FW.) The day before they were to come over, I was told no pillowcases, how about simple quilts - that way we can accomplish two things at once: getting the sewing patch and also November's service project out of the way.

So, I got out fabrics for them, some didn't like what I chose and went through the stash (thankfully it's not that big) and chose others.

Did I mention that the mothers came also?

Originally this was to be a 2-hour project. It turned into 7, including lunch.

We ended the day with 5 new 9 patch quilts made, using the envelope method - no way was I going to put bindings on those quilts! AND, some of the girls really liked using the machines!

Yes, it was: Very tiring! No I did not cook supper! Yes, I'm still exhausted today! But the crowning statement was: "This is the most fun we've ever had at a meeting!" That made it all worth while. So I get to go with them when they turn the quilts in this coming Friday!

Thanks for letting me share. I've learned so much from this group!! You're all awesome!

Alma

Oh Wow, How nice of you. I bet you were tired, Do you have any pictures?
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Blog Entries
    That was so sweet of you! You have made an ever lasting impression on the girls about sewing..you should be proud!
    It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves.

Alma, raise your right hand and pat yourself on the back! You did a good thing. A very good thing. Thank you.

You may now take Monday off.
    Dorothy in PA

As a former Girl Scout (many, many moons ago) I salute you. Those are the things that the girls will remember in the future. I know I wouldn't have the patience to do that job. You get a gold star
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

Wow having a change from pillow cases to quilts .. in 24 hrs notice!!! You have patience! and to have them nosing around in your stash... I would not have been able to stay polite.
    You have my compliments for all you did ! And I can appreciate how exhausted you must be!

Congratulations! Five girls doesn't sound like a lot, but when it comes to sewing and giving the attention they each need, it is overwhelming.

I am working with a girl who just turned 10. Her sister is 7, and so far she only does hand sewing, because as she says, "I can control it better." Yesterday the 10 year old worked on a 9 patch pillow (both sides) for a Christmas gift to her mom. She has had a habit of rushing through things too fast, but yesterday she slowed down and actually saw how nice the sewing looked when care is taken. She is now ready to stuff the pillow. The best moment for me was when she said with great enthusiasm, "I just LOVE sewing" while in the middle of a seam. I am sure my feeling was similar to yours, Mimi, when the Girl Scouts said it was the most fun they have ever had a meeting.

Maybe they will let you teach pillowcases at their next meeting!

Dayle

Blog Entries
    And just when do you get your "patch"? LOL You are very generous and very brave!! But they will remember you for the good times you provided.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    Wow having a change from pillow cases to quilts .. in 24 hrs notice!!! You have patience! and to have them nosing around in your stash... I would not have been able to stay polite.
    You have my compliments for all you did ! And I can appreciate how exhausted you must be!
    I'm pretty sure I would get testy with some of them going through my stash and a change of project. Seems like I would have been sorry that I ever volunteered. But, once someone said it is the best time at a meeting they have had that would have made my year! I would be so pleased that I might have turned someone else onto sewing.

Wow...changing from pillowcases to quilts was quite a change of a project...but it does sound like it turned out well and the girls really enjoyed it...and it could be the start of a life-long love of quilting for them. Thank-you for giving your time!

Alma,

It is people like you that makes being part of the human race worthwhile. It is wonderful to hear that you are creating a whole batch of young quilters practically single handed!

Hugs and thank you for being there for today's youngsters!!!!!

Caroline
    Caroline

Quote Originally Posted by TX GMimi View Post
    The next time I'm asked to teach Girls Scouts how to use a sewing machine, please, please, someone stop me!

Our daughter leads a GS troop of 5 - all 11 years old. So when asked, I said, sure I can do that. So I planned - we'd make pillowcases, right? right. I set up the room so I could see the girls using my old Bernina and also my FW. (They didn't like the FW.) The day before they were to come over, I was told no pillowcases, how about simple quilts - that way we can accomplish two things at once: getting the sewing patch and also November's service project out of the way.

So, I got out fabrics for them, some didn't like what I chose and went through the stash (thankfully it's not that big) and chose others.

Did I mention that the mothers came also?

Originally this was to be a 2-hour project. It turned into 7, including lunch.

We ended the day with 5 new 9 patch quilts made, using the envelope method - no way was I going to put bindings on those quilts! AND, some of the girls really liked using the machines!

Yes, it was: Very tiring! No I did not cook supper! Yes, I'm still exhausted today! But the crowning statement was: "This is the most fun we've ever had at a meeting!" That made it all worth while. So I get to go with them when they turn the quilts in this coming Friday!

Thanks for letting me share. I've learned so much from this group!! You're all awesome!

Alma
    I'd have stood my ground and insisted on the pillow cases. Simple stitching and more than useful. My new GDIL is wanting to learn to sew---------and pillow cases and a fused Christmas stocking are two of the first items I'm going to tackle.

My main goal it to do something B. can point to and say --------------look what I did.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Alma,
    I think it was the time crunch that made it a little overwhelming for you. But, you still did a great thing for the girls.
    I offered a quilting class to the girls in my neighborhood this summer. I had five girls, the youngest was eight and the oldest was 11. We met at my house from 9 till noon, Monday thru Friday, for one week. At the end of the week, each girl had a completed quilt. All quilts were entered in our quild quilt show in September. The girls had a good time but for me 'it was the most fun I ever had at a quilting class'. I loved it and will offer it again next summer.

Kathy
    Retirement is Awesome.

Don't ask the LORD to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet.

I learned to sew from a 4H club when I was 12. (My mother knew how to sew but never taught me.) I loved it, sewed many of my own clothes in those early years, went on to sewing for home and family and now, in the past 4 years started to quilt. I think it is one of the most important, rewarding and useful things I have ever learnt and here I am 40+ years later, still at the machine. You have likely instilled "the bug' into at least one of those girls. You should be proud of yourself, it was a wonderful task you took on.

Forgot to add, i think of that teacher often, she had 8 or 10 of us beginners!.

Hey now you can make your daughter replace your stash (more fabric Yah!)

bravery has its own rewards--enjoy the feelings --but lock your stash away next time

I too learned to sew in 4-H at the age of 9. My first year as a Girl Scout leader I had 27 girls in the troup, grades 3,4,5 and 6. It was one of the best years and what diverse interests the girls had. Nope, did NOT try the sewing machine...did do cross stitch though. And yes, they will remember this always.

piney

My best friend's mother was our Girl Scout leader. She taught us many things and I still love her today. I even call her Mama Wanda. You will probably never know how you've touched the lives of some little girls by giving of your time. God bless you!

Blog Entries
    Kind of reminds me of the year I had a sewing 4H club. Eighteen - yes, eighteen- girls joined. They all wanted to make skating dresses. Begged, borrowed extra sewing machines. Had nine set up in my basement. Held the meetings in split sessions of 9 girls each. Now, THAT was the summer from hell, but we "got 'er done."

oh, BTW - "never again!"

Blog Entries
    Congratulations for helping the girls and giving them a skill they can use later. You rock!

Blog Entries
    sounds like everything turned out OK. personally, i would give them a choice a fabrics of my choosing and not let them go through my stash at will. i often think about doing that, thanks for showing me some of the pitfalls.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    Maybe. There is a new quilter among those girls that would never have learned if it wasn't for that time you gave to those girls. God bless you for sharing your time, talent , supplies and of course patiences!

Blog Entries
    I have a DGD in Girl Scouts, and several years ago I had her whole troup, 7 or 8 girls, plus 4 Moms over to make those cushions they use. They had a ball! Yes, it was very tiring, but to me to get a bunch of young girls interested in a fading "art" is a blessing. Now my DGD has graduated to making quilts. She tells me that she shows the girls what she has learned. I just wish I could get them back again for a sewing lesson a little more advanced from what they had then, but alas, they are more interested in the opposite sex right now, they're 14 now.

I always enjoyed being a Girl Scout but no one ever took the time to help us with sewing. Maybe our troop was too big? I think what you did was a wonderful thing. The girls will always remember it and hopefully you got them or some of them interested in learning more. Great job!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast