Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please DON'T let me volunteer again! >

Please DON'T let me volunteer again!

Please DON'T let me volunteer again!

Old 11-13-2012, 08:36 AM

Sounds like you are pretty awsome too! Good job.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:40 AM

Just remember these girls/parents will always remember you.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:46 AM

[QUOTE=Honeynga;5651589] After school folks have the children from about 12:30 pm until about 6 pm.......I have pre-K, kindergarten and 1st graders and have been thinking about doing something similar with my 1st grade girls (or boys if they are interested). I would take a couple of my machines to the school and work there; ONE of my concerns is that the children are too short to sit down and reach the sewing machine pedal......guess I could get them to stand up and sew. We have a lot of "baby dolls" that are in need of new blankets and I thought we might could make the babies new blankets. [/QUOTE

I worked at an After School program for a few years (grades 4k-1, and had the idea to have children make a "quilt" of fabric scraps on a piece of paper. I tried my scraps myself, and found that they were much too big. Then I tried my waste basket. Those "trimmings and lint" were just the right size. I put a bowl with school glue diluted quite a bit with water in the center of the table. When the children had figured out how they wanted their quilt, they dipped each piece into the glue bowl and smoothed it onto the paper. You would never believe the beautiful creations from such young children. I had tried this on my relatives first, ages 4, 18 and 40. They turned out so well, and that's why I tried it with the school children.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:06 AM

All I can say is thank you - thank you for each of the girls and all the fun and the learning. I, too, was a girl scout some 45-50 years ago and they are still some of my favorite memories. I wasn't blessed with children, but often wished I had taken time to volunteer with the Girl Scouts. Thanks again from all of them!!!
Old 11-13-2012, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
My guild does sewing classes for Girl Scouts. We have learned many things!
6. Girls who have no knowledge of sewing at all will call the thread string.
When I had my summer class, one girl kept talking about the 'robin'. Guess when I said 'bobbin' she heard 'robin'.

Kathy Patterson