Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please DON'T let me volunteer again! >

Please DON'T let me volunteer again!

Please DON'T let me volunteer again!

Old 11-12-2012, 06:42 AM

WOW, I do know how you feel though, our boys and girls club "Torch Club" wanted to make 25 quilts and blankets for project LINUS. For about 10 weeks they came over to my house on a Friday night (5-8 graders) about 7 each time, and learned to sew and make tied blankets. What a mess, and trying to keep everyone's sewing machine threaded was the hardest. I salute you because I have been there and done that, and what a great thing you have done!!!!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:03 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

IF just one child can carry that "knowledge" forward into life, then you more than did your job. You have taught a child how to sew/quilt and imagine all the possibilities that can happen when one creates at a sewing machine.

Thank you for being a patient teacher !
Old 11-12-2012, 07:27 AM

Thanks for your entry. I work in the After School Program at the local elementary school; several times a year they have "early release days" this is for the teachers to meet with parents one on one to cover each child's progress in the classroom. THEREFORE, it means that we After school folks have the children from about 12:30 pm until about 6 pm.......I have pre-K, kindergarten and 1st graders and have been thinking about doing something similar with my 1st grade girls (or boys if they are interested). I would take a couple of my machines to the school and work there; ONE of my concerns is that the children are too short to sit down and reach the sewing machine pedal......guess I could get them to stand up and sew. We have a lot of "baby dolls" that are in need of new blankets and I thought we might could make the babies new blankets. I used to be a Girl Scout Leader but we never sewed; I had 12 girls and no help so it wouldn't of been feasible anyway.

Again, thanks for sharing. You have given me new inspiration to follow through on this project for our next Early Release Days.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

You are a SAINT... and those girls will remember it forever! I know I couldn't have done it. I can't stand the thought of anyone touching my machines, let alone 11yos! And my stash... forget it. I guess I don't share my toys well. You are a very kind and generous soul.

Still can't figure out how you helped 11 yos to make a whole quilt in just 7 hours... sharing machines.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

My guild does sewing classes for Girl Scouts. We have learned many things!

1. All kits are in a bag, girls do not get to choose but may swap with each other. If there are choices then all it takes is for one girl to say I want that print for all the girls to want the same one.

2. Girls under the age of 8, all they want to do is run the machine.

3. When you look away every knob will be turned and every button will be pushed.

4. Use hair clips instead of pins. Most girls do not have hand dexterity and will be frustrated trying to use pins. A few will get hysterical over a pin prick.

5. Call the right side of the fabric, the pretty side.

6. Girls who have no knowledge of sewing at all will call the thread string.

7. Moms usually make things more stressful.

8. Have one person in charge keeping turns and order, following the schedule.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:27 AM

I think you worked a miracle! I can't imagine accomplishing so much in one day, especially with more students than you had machines, and all those extra bodies (the moms!) crowding your space. I think you probably should have drawn the line at raiding your stash, though. In fact, I probably would have refused to do quilts because there simply wasn't enough time allotted, and the troop should have been asked to contribute all or at least most of the fabric, thread and batting. It seems that you have a lot of talent for teaching kids, and if you enjoyed it, maybe you should consider doing it again sometime, but on terms that are more fair and reasonable for you.

It seems odd they didn't love the FW. Probably one kid said something negative and set that attitude for the group. Maybe they thought it was a toy because of the small size. It would be interesting to observe whether that happens with a different group.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

Good of you to take this on. I would not teach anyone how to sew. I would help but they would have to know how to sew before. Maybe when I was younger. I want to make as many quilts as I can and use up some of my fabrics.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Honeynga View Post
.......snip........I have pre-K, kindergarten and 1st graders.....snip......
I think an expanded enrichment activity is a great thing but your age group is far to young to have the fine motor skills requires to use a sewing machine. I'd pick up a bunch of those plastic holed embroidery bases they have all over Jo-Anns and WalMart and some colorful yarn and a bunch of plastic needles and teach them how to do 'lacing' as a start for hand-sewing.

If you do decide to use real hand sewing sharps and actual fabric and shears and possibly a sewing machine I would make absolutely certain every child engaging in this had a parent permission slip so if a kid sewed their finger there parents would have previously given permission. I'd also make sure that an adult was right with the child doing the sewing or better yet the child sat on the lap of the sewing person and just watched.

But my first profession was nursing so I tend to be a bit conservative after some of the amazing things I saw in the ER and the OR.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:49 AM

I love this to add to my daily reading projects---especially Bellaboo's list of "dos and don'ts". Congratulations, GMimi, on a JOB WELL DONE, tired all the way down in your bones and all the next day. It was worth it for what you did for the kids, and for yourself, maybe even for some of the moms. I have been considering such a project for my grandkids and some of their friends--but am still in the considering stage at this point. I don't have any over-abundance of patience for kids and dumb moms......
Old 11-12-2012, 11:00 AM

Omg pillowcases to quilts in less than 24 hrs time? Your awesome to have pulled this off. Having people rummage through my stash....not so awesome. My hats off to you and by the sounds of it your a terrific teacher! Although you say never again...I have a feeling if the right person asked you'd change your mind. Well done!