Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please don't look at the back of my quilt... >

Please don't look at the back of my quilt...

Please don't look at the back of my quilt...

Old 01-10-2014, 07:51 AM

I know 2 excellent and well known hand quilters in the UK. One likes a very firm frame set up while the other is much stagger. Try both and find out which suites you.

As for stitch size they both agree that as long as the stitches are even the length is not important especially to begin with.. Ensure the needle goes through all layers before trying to tip up. . Practise makes perfect. I prefer not to use a frame .
Old 01-10-2014, 08:14 AM

I feel like my fingers are stretched to the limit when I use a longer needle, but I see the needles the Thimblelady uses and can't even imagine that. But, I will try a 9 today and see what goes, and try the different tensions on the frame. I am reading a book from the 70's called KY quilts and Their Makers and it talks aobut how tight they liked the quiltis in the frames, but today it's loose, loose, loose.

I'll see what happens today.

Thanks everyone,
Jp
Old 01-11-2014, 07:40 AM

On the quilts I have hand quilted, I love looking at the design it makes on the back. I DO NOT look at each and every stitch on the back. But love to lay the quilt out so the light goes across the design. I do not use a frame when hand quilting.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:59 AM

I want to tackle hand quilting so have been looking at different videos on line. I found this one, using a "quilting spoon" interesting.[h=3]Tips & Lessons > Spoon Quilting - Jinny Beyer Studio Jinny also talks about a hand quilter that taped a quarter to her thumb.[/h]to guide her stitches through all the layers. Good luck.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:29 AM

I also have been researching hand quilting. I found a very large hoop frame at a consignment store. I have tried searching on utube but so far no info on how to use it. I just don't know if I want to spend months quilting my king size quilt on the frame of struggle with it on my sewing machine...but will only be a few days to finish.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:17 AM

I think because as quilters, we consider the back as interesting as the front... at least I do. That why I use picked backs or a very interesting fabric, and just cringe when I hear quilters defaulting to muslin or a white sheet for a back. But it's funny, I used to work for a dinnerware company, and when we'd have a meal out, everyone would turn the dishes over to see what they were! Same thing, I think!
Old 01-11-2014, 12:58 PM

I don't use a hoop or frame: I prefer to hold the quilt and freehand my stitches. For me, that works best; you must use whatever method works for you. As for the time it takes to hand quilt - depends - while I was still working I had a quilt to do as a gift (When was I going to be able to do it?). I used my lunch hour, and was able to use up three needlesfull each hour. I was AMAZED - it only took me three months to do a quilt that was 60 X 72. Granted, it was not a tightly quilted pattern, but echoed a Royal Cross with echoed sashing, and a triple rope border.
Anyhow the point is, take your time, but allot a certain amount of time each day and it will get itself made. Enjoy the process!!!
Old 01-11-2014, 02:55 PM

I like to hand quilt one of my projects every three or four years. The rest are machine-quilted. Right now I am at the border stage of a queen-sized triple Irish chain. I started the quilting in July, 2013, and hope to be finished soon. I use John James big-eye quilting needles, size 11, and find they work very well. I also quilt one stitch at a time - my stitches are more even that way. I can't use a thimble for some reason so my under-finger is protected by "Thimble-It", and I use my right index fingernail to push the needle through from the top. I use a floor model Q-Snap frame and keep the quilt kind of loose in it. That way the needle doesn't fight me so much. If I ever finish this quilt, I'll post a picture.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:10 PM

I also hand quilt, and I enjoy people looking at the backs of my quilts. I most generally use muslin or a solid color for the backs of quilts, when I use a print, you cannot see the hand quilting at all. I shows up on the back, and you might say, makes a reversible quilt, one side whole cloth, and one side pieced. Enjoy your quilts, both sides, regardless, if you are new to hand quilting or if you have been at it for years. I have hand quilted off and on for years. My mother taught me when I was 11 or 12, and I helped her through the years on various quilts. I really only started serious quilting, both piecing and hand quilting about 7 years ago.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:07 PM

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I have now decided it will be Spring of 2015 before I am finished...but that's OK I plan for this to be a learning experience and hope my son can be patient for that long .

For those who do not use a frame or hoop, do you just let the quilt rest on your arm of the underhand? I tend to want to hold the quilt in my hand like I do when embriodering and find that does not work when I am try to quilt the middle of a quilt. I have tried the hoop/frame free method w/a doll size quilt just for practice and wondered about how to hold it to get the middle when I can'tfit that much of the quilt in my hand and still stitch. Does that questions make sense???

Thanks,
Jp