Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please give advise >

Please give advise

Please give advise

Old 09-17-2013, 01:36 PM

One of my friends wanted to learn to quilt. She kept asking for the "right" way to do whatever (like half square triangles). I told her of 4-5 different methods but she wanted to know the "right" way. Kept telling her she needed to try each one and find what made sense to her. Same with washing or not - do what makes sense to you.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:42 PM

I dont usually prewash unless its a color that I think will run or I am making a quilt that has several colors that arent close in color as in beige with green etc. I always prewash the colors that tend to bleed like reds, blacks, dark blues. I even wash the precuts in those colors by just placing them in a sink and letting them soak for a few minutes then rinsing until water comes clear. The only exception to this is when I am making a commissioned piece or something that I know I am going to sell. I then prewash all fabrics regardless of color and use Retain on them to ensure the customers have no problems with their items when they wash them.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:03 PM

For beginner patterns, I don't think you can do better than Jenny! Just my opinion.

Hope your finger heals quickly and you can get back to quilting. (And be careful with that rotary cutter! LOL)
Old 09-17-2013, 02:16 PM

I do because I want to know what the fabric will do when subjected to washing. If it is going to bleed, shrink, fall apart, or loose its feel/texture once all the sizing is washed out I want it to do so before I spend alot of time and effort cutting and sewing. It saves time and money if I find this out before I invest more money in backing and batting.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Scuddles View Post
Hello everyone, I want to thank all of you for the information you had given me about pre washing and steam. I never completed a quilt yet. I had my eye on the double hour glass. So I went to JoAnns fabric and bought all my fabric. I washed everything in cold water, dried and pressed. I started cutting out my strips, my sewing machine is a Brother and I started sewing. I then put each block on my flannel wall, to see if I liked it that way. Lets just say I have started a scrap pile. I started crying, ( it has to be hormones, I cry at everything ) My husband felt so bad, he went out and bought me a Singer Fashion mate machine. This time I wanted to make a Rail Fence. I saw on a web site, a June Taylor a Shape, Cut,Pro mat. I love it, every newbie should buy it. So I cut my strips and sewed sewn (however you spell it, lol ) the strips together. I did not know you are supposed to make sure the stitches lock so after all that, I noticed the stitches didn't lock. I changed the tension, I threaded the machine over and the bobbin over. So a friend came over to look at it and said the machine was a lemon. Once again the tears came and my scrap pile got bigger. My hubby took it back and took me to Joanne's fabric and bought me a Husqvarna Viking. I thought you had to order it on line, but they had them right in the store. He bought me the machine and she showed me a bunch of stuff and told me there are free classes, I forgot the date but it's on the calender. I still want to make the Rail Fence quilt. I bought fabric online and I am waiting and I haven't received it yet. Last night I was getting my stuff all together so all I would need would be the fabric. I was changing the blade in my rotary cutter and I sliced the tip of my finger. Again the tears came, not from hormones There was blood everywhere, he called my neighbor who is a nurse to see if I would need stitches. I had a tetnus shot 3 years ago and they are good for 10 years. She said no, but she wrapped me up good and she put these little rubber thing on my finger. I can't take the site of blood so I was light headed and nauseous. My husband took out about 3 or 4 lysol wipes to clean it all. Of course it would have to happen on my right hand, the hand I use. OMG, I didn't realize how long my letter was. Oh well, I have to start buying fabric once again. If anyone knows where there are beginners quilt patterns, Could you please send me the link. I already love Jenny and all of her great tutorials.
Happy Quilting, Lori
Oh, dear. This isn't going well for you.

If you don't know how to use your machine, please take the classes offered by the store.

If you can - sign up for and take a beginner class.
Learn that instructor's way - (being aware that there are other ways) -

Sometimes too much input just makes one crazy.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:29 PM

I soak each dark fabric individually, no exceptions, in hot water. If it bleeds, it gets pre-washed in warm water with other bleeders, using 2 Color Catchers.

I do the same thing with other fabrics, too, but use just 1 Color Catcher.

My reason: low trust level! I wouldn't want to put in all that hard work to watch colors run later.

That being said, my LQS owner says she never prewashed quilt shop quality fabric, but puts 2 Color Catchers in the wash when she washes the finished quilt. I do not have that kind of trust in fabric!
Old 09-17-2013, 02:50 PM

You are too funny!!! And your husband sounds like a sweetheart. If I lived near by I'd love to come over and help you and we could have a good laugh at all of your trials, we've all had them. But seriously, I hope you find a beginning quilting class at a quilt shop or where ever you can, in addition to the lessons that came with your machine, you'll do great. Try to keep laughing through the tears!
Old 09-17-2013, 03:29 PM

Default Why I Pre-Wash

I have posted many times on the subject of pre-washing, but here is another picture. It shows the testing of a name brand LQS fabric in my kitchen sink. Needless to say, it did not pass my test, so I used Retayne to set the dye, and I will enjoy using this "high end" fabric in my next project with confidence.

I pre-wash almost everything and Retayne those fabrics that don't rinse clear after 2 tries. I don't care where they come from before I get them -- garage sales, LQS, or my mom's closet.

Dayle
Attached Thumbnails bleedingexample.jpg  
Old 09-17-2013, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Scuddles View Post
Hello everyone, I want to thank all of you for the information you had given me about pre washing and steam. I never completed a quilt yet. I had my eye on the double hour glass. So I went to JoAnns fabric and bought all my fabric. I washed everything in cold water, dried and pressed. I started cutting out my strips, my sewing machine is a Brother and I started sewing. I then put each block on my flannel wall, to see if I liked it that way. Lets just say I have started a scrap pile. I started crying, ( it has to be hormones, I cry at everything ) My husband felt so bad, he went out and bought me a Singer Fashion mate machine. This time I wanted to make a Rail Fence. I saw on a web site, a June Taylor a Shape, Cut,Pro mat. I love it, every newbie should buy it. So I cut my strips and sewed sewn (however you spell it, lol ) the strips together. I did not know you are supposed to make sure the stitches lock so after all that, I noticed the stitches didn't lock. I changed the tension, I threaded the machine over and the bobbin over. So a friend came over to look at it and said the machine was a lemon. Once again the tears came and my scrap pile got bigger. My hubby took it back and took me to Joanne's fabric and bought me a Husqvarna Viking. I thought you had to order it on line, but they had them right in the store. He bought me the machine and she showed me a bunch of stuff and told me there are free classes, I forgot the date but it's on the calender. I still want to make the Rail Fence quilt. I bought fabric online and I am waiting and I haven't received it yet. Last night I was getting my stuff all together so all I would need would be the fabric. I was changing the blade in my rotary cutter and I sliced the tip of my finger. Again the tears came, not from hormones There was blood everywhere, he called my neighbor who is a nurse to see if I would need stitches. I had a tetnus shot 3 years ago and they are good for 10 years. She said no, but she wrapped me up good and she put these little rubber thing on my finger. I can't take the site of blood so I was light headed and nauseous. My husband took out about 3 or 4 lysol wipes to clean it all. Of course it would have to happen on my right hand, the hand I use. OMG, I didn't realize how long my letter was. Oh well, I have to start buying fabric once again. If anyone knows where there are beginners quilt patterns, Could you please send me the link. I already love Jenny and all of her great tutorials.
Happy Quilting, Lori
Bless your heart! Sounds like WAY too much is being thrown at you, all at once! While your finger is healing, just take it easy and browse quilt patterns.

There are many easy quilt patterns, which work up quite impressively. Since you're just starting out, why not make a simple lap/sofa quilt with those scraps? Trim them to a uniform width, then sew a bunch together, end to end. When you have a bunch of long strips, start sewing them together, side to side. Before you know it, you'll have a quilt top!
Old 09-17-2013, 05:13 PM

Good Evening to all,
I just want to tell everyone of you how much I appreciate all of your advise and also how friendly everyone is.
OMG, I cannot believe how much the red fabric bleeds. I will have to buy the Shout color catches just in case.
I want to sew so bad, boy is that a tongue twister. It's a good thing I didn't have to say it, it would never have come
out that way, lol. I think I am try it both ways with pre washing and not pre wash and hopefully I will be able to see
which one I like better. I will say one thing, I will come back here if I need another question answered if that's alright.
Thanks a bunch,
Lori