Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please Give me your favorite tips for Free-Motion Quilting Success >

Please Give me your favorite tips for Free-Motion Quilting Success

Please Give me your favorite tips for Free-Motion Quilting Success

Old 06-21-2017, 11:20 AM

I'm still learning FMQ and after buying "machiners" gloves, I will NEVER try to quilt without them again. They have improved my control greatly.

Last edited by NZquilter; 06-21-2017 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Some days I can't spell:(
Old 06-22-2017, 02:31 AM

Sit on a cushion so you are higher up than you normally are when sewing. It gives you a better view and keeps your back straight.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:40 AM

Lightbulb A light bulb moment !

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Definitely wear Grab a Roos, they are the purple gloves that fit like Isotoner gloves. They aren't loose cotton and have great control. The best advice I ever received for free motion is to listen to your machine. The thunk, thunk, thunk of the needle has a rhythm. Move your hands to the rhythm of the thunk, thunk, thunk. When the thunk is slow move slow and when the thunk is fast, slow down. Although thunk sounds like a mistake, it's the best description of the sound.
I also found that listening to your machine was a light bulb moment for me in learning how to free motion quilt.
It allows you to move your hands to the rhythm of the needle going up and down.

I tell myself, I am the feed dogs that move the fabric in rhythm to the needle! Funny that I had written in my handout that if the needle is moving up and down slowly, then so are your hands and if it moves fast, so do your hands. I love your description of "thunk, thunk, thunk" thank you
!
Old 06-22-2017, 02:43 AM

Most of the FMQ classes I have taken have you doodle patterns on paper...time and time again, it builds muscle memory. I keep a dry erase board and a few pens around to practice. Remind them that it's supposed to be fun...practice, practice, practice...
Old 06-22-2017, 04:07 AM

Use a backing with a print of some kind. Using a plain fabric on the back will really show any inconsistencies.
Practice, practice, practice.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:18 AM

I remember when I took my first free motion class, they had us practice loops by writing our names. It is a motion we are all familiar with. I found that helped.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:36 AM

I also teach beginning machine quilting at our LQS.
My list of tips includes:
Use larger practice sandwiches... a fat quarter size is best. Tiny little sandwiches are hard to work with...
Don't reposition your hands while the machine is moving.
Practice your designs by doodling on paper, or on a white board..
A sheet clear plexiglass with masking tape around the edges is great for laying on your actual quilt and practicing designs with a dry erase marker.
Quilting an entire quilt in one design is a great way to perfect it.
View each quilting project as a snapshot of what you're capable of at the time. Finish it, give it away and move on. Your family and friends will see the love you put into the quilt, not your wobbly quilting designs.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by copycat View Post
I will be teaching the July Program for our guild on Beginner Free-Motion quilting.

I have several books and magazine articles with tips and advice on how to be a successful free-motion quilter. I am putting together a handout for the class. If you have attended a class on free-motion or have any tried and true tips to pass along that have helped you with f-m quilting, I would love to share them with my guild. Thank you!
I don't know how you are going to demonstrate, but usually I see online demonstrations that only involve a 12 x 12 square of layered fabrics. Well there's a big difference between a 12 x 12 (or whatever smaller size) and a queen size quilt that needs to be quilted.

I don't even pay attention to the them anymore... So maybe try a somewhat larger demo piece to show the reality of free motion quilting (especially on a domestic machine).
Old 06-22-2017, 04:58 AM

Quilt by check.
sandy
Old 06-22-2017, 04:59 AM

Red face Practice

Originally Posted by copycat View Post
I will be teaching the July Program for our guild on Beginner Free-Motion quilting.

I have several books and magazine articles with tips and advice on how to be a successful free-motion quilter. I am putting together a handout for the class. If you have attended a class on free-motion or have any tried and true tips to pass along that have helped you with f-m quilting, I would love to share them with my guild. Thank you!
1.PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE
2.Mark your pattern to make it easier.
3.Wear rubber tipped gloves.
4.The "slider" is very helpful to me.
5.PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE
6.Keep a "sandwich" close by at all times to practice on before beginning to quilt a project.
7.Make sure you are quilting in a comfortable position.
8.Make sure you can see your project as you quilt.
10.Continuous PRACTICE!!