Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please Give me your favorite tips for Free-Motion Quilting Success >

Please Give me your favorite tips for Free-Motion Quilting Success

Please Give me your favorite tips for Free-Motion Quilting Success

Old 06-22-2017, 05:07 AM
Power Poster

If someone has acquired some habits that are detrimental to "easier" FMQ'ing - maybe figure out a way of spotting these habits and suggesting how these habits are not helping the process?
Old 06-22-2017, 06:06 AM

Use a 90/14 topstitch needle in your machine......this eliminates a lot of problems.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:32 AM

All the tips I've read so far are great, but one other thing I've learned over the years is support the whole quilt with extra tables, ironing board or anything else you can think of so that the whole quilt is level with your machine so there is no "drag". Drag causes irregularity in stitch length and can cause tension problems with your machine.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:43 AM

my "aha" moment was when an instructor said to slow down...I dropped my machine to the slowest speed possible and adjusted my fabric movement to that speed, making almost perfect feathers and other designs because I was in control of the fabric. I have since speeded up a little, but not much, and now know where the sweet spot is on my speed lever - and have control of the fabric and stitches. It almost becomes zen-like. I save time quilting now at a slower speed since I don't have to take out stitches to correct, stitch length is even, etc. It does take a little practice, but not as much as trying to do it right at faster speed.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

My biggest improvements has come with using pencil and paper. I started to doodle various patterns over and over on a drawing tablet. (So far I am working on my third). Practicing that way (or even just running your finger over the table in a repeat patter) creates muscle memory. It makes a huge difference once you start putting the quilt under the needle. Your brain and your hands will work together better. It also helps planning out use of the space and not how to get out of tight spots.

Make sure the environment is aligned (height of chair and height of machine). Notice when you start to develop angel wings (shoulders pulled up to the ears) and work to keep the shoulders down.

Don't expect to be great at it right away. Mastery of a skill take thousands of hours of practice.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:12 AM

When I'm FMQ, I wear the Machingers quilting gloves, they grip well and don't make my hands sweat. It really helps to have a big enough surface to fully support your quilt. For me, I need to have my machine sit flush in a cabinet. http://tinyurl.com/y95r86hn You can see my cabinet(Horn Quiltmate 2) all set up for quilting, the drawer with a board in it further supports the quilt so it doesn't fall off the table and create drag on the quilt. I have been machine quilting with various home sewing machines since 1992 and have learned much over the years.
Leah Day's website: www.leahday.com gives many good tips and videos for successful Free Motion quilting.
Sharon in Texas

Last edited by purplefiend; 06-22-2017 at 09:17 AM. Reason: added text
Old 06-22-2017, 09:44 AM

Bring up your thread tails at the beginning every time so you don't make a mess on the back. Watson
Old 06-22-2017, 10:18 AM

The most important thing is have a machine that won't frustrate you. And that means practice at least once at home before taking the class to get your machine at least sewing right. At every FMQ class there was always one machine if not more that made a mess of thread and caused lots of grief to the quilter. The instructor spent most of her time trying to get the machines to sew. Doesn't matter the brand, I've see all brands mess up.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:26 PM

I found a Gypsy fabric glide, I think that is the name. You can look it up under Gypsy quilting notions. What I bought had 2 fabric glides, or what I called grippers, for FMQ. One was bigger than the other. They both had handles that were easy to hold and move the quilt being FMQ'd. Great for those with arthritis.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by fruitloop View Post
The most important thing is have a machine that won't frustrate you. And that means practice at least once at home before taking the class to get your machine at least sewing right. At every FMQ class there was always one machine if not more that made a mess of thread and caused lots of grief to the quilter. The instructor spent most of her time trying to get the machines to sew. Doesn't matter the brand, I've see all brands mess up.
How frustrating for all concerned! Especially for the other class members that have their machines in working order.