Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep. >

PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep.

PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:01 AM

I had the same problem, this is what I did, unfold fabric (as it comes off the bolt), take your 6.5 inch ruler and use it to fold the fabric around it, kind of like circling around the ruler. Once complete, slide the ruler out and fold in half. Sort according to colours, looks very impressive, I will try to attach some photos. Hopefully this makes sense,

Before
[ATTACH=CONFIG]197709[/ATTACH]

After
[ATTACH=CONFIG]197710[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-197703.jpe   attachment-197704.jpe  
Old 05-16-2011, 07:25 AM

Like most of the others here, I use tubs. I have my smaller pieces separated by colors, and I have some of the larger tubs separated by Civil War, Solids, Xmas, etc. I had shelves on another wall built so the cardboard bolts will stand up on end like in the fabric shops, and I use those for fabrics I have multiple yards of. A tall bookshelf that you assemble yourself would work just fine, too. They are very inexpensive at Big Lots,have adjustable shelves, and the shelves are shallow so its easy to see and access. Hope this helps.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by LeaNS
I had the same problem, this is what I did, unfold fabric (as it comes off the bolt), take your 6.5 inch ruler and use it to fold the fabric around it, kind of like circling around the ruler. Once complete, slide the ruler out and fold in half. Sort according to colours, looks very impressive, I will try to attach some photos. Hopefully this makes sense,
I especially love how you've gotten your fabrics to hang in limbo like bats! (LOL - picture is upside down!)
Old 05-16-2011, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by IBQLTN
Originally Posted by LeaNS
I especially love how you've gotten your fabrics to hang in limbo like bats! (LOL - picture is upside down!)
It's a new technique ... so you can take from the bottom and not have the stack fall! :)

It's going to be a HUGE seller, once she goes to market with it!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:00 AM

My storage shelves are also very deep. They are probably for the garage. I would first see if you have material that goes together (i.e., kit, matching fabric line, bought for a specific project, etc.). These I put in the $1 shoe boxes from Walmart. Next step would be to fold your Fat Quarters or 1/2 yards and put them in "under bed storage" clear bins by color. Next put your batting and/or large pieces of backing fabric in the back of the shelves. Then fold or put on some kind of board any fabric that is 1 to 4 yards and put them at the front of the shelves.

These you could put on the bottom of the shelf unit
[ATTACH=CONFIG]197788[/ATTACH]

Also on the bottom as these get heavy
[ATTACH=CONFIG]197789[/ATTACH]

Fabric on boards with batting and/or large pieces behind
[ATTACH=CONFIG]197790[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-197782.jpe   attachment-197783.jpe   attachment-197784.jpe  
Old 05-16-2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by marytoddliz
OK, thanks, I thought I was missing something! I could just see my husbands face if I started putting my fabric in the freezer too!
My neighbor came home from vacation one year after her son had been house-sitting for her. When she opened the "deep freeze" a bear's head was looking back at her! Yup, he'd been hunting! And, yet, he's still alive! LOL
Old 05-16-2011, 09:26 AM

Just a note, for all of you using plastic bins. Years ago my mother who was the queen of all stashes, had a fire. All her fabric in plastic bins and totes was a loss. Not from the fire but the heat, melting the bins. Fabric could have been saved if it wasn't in plastic. I use old suitcases and love to roll them around much easier and so organized when you fold the fabric so the heavy fold faces up. Then I also have fabric on shelves folded like LeaNS great job by the way!
Old 05-16-2011, 02:43 PM

lol, sorry didn't notice that, took the picture sideways then rotated - obviously the wrong way, hmmmmmm interesting concept - taking that idea to market hehehehe, lol :)
Old 05-16-2011, 02:43 PM

THANKS!!!!
Old 05-16-2011, 02:47 PM

try by sorting by color and then if you have coredinating fabrics put them together and as u go along put future quilts togeyher and put them in a tote

fold nicely and put 2 stacks deep and put cardboard between colors to keep them seperated