Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep. >

PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep.

PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:15 PM

I have found that bins with split tops work the best for me -- you only have to slide them out a little to get into the bin. they are see through so I can tell what is there (I file by color) I get the bins at Staples. I buy them one at a time, as I need them.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Hi everyone,
I think I figured out why I can't get organized. I have a big closet but the shelves are too deep. Does anyone have any help for me??
I'm really frustrated.
I'm going to take a pic. Please don't faint!

Thanks,
Sue

PS. Okay I took pics. I just can't get a system down and end up sewing in the kitchen on my FW.
That's NOT a solution lol
I put all my fabrics into color coded boxes either plastic or the cardboard ones. They fit neatly on the deeper shelves. Get boxes big enough to take up the whole shelf so You will not have to buy another one for that type of fabric.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:02 AM
nab

I have deep shelves like yours and I use the plastic boxes. I got some at Wal-Mart about 5 years ago. They do hang out the front some but this is okay by me.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:40 AM

I guess it depends on the size of the stash and other storage options in the room, but with my deep shelves I used the back halves for long-term storage (like stemware we aren't using or containers of other things) and the front halves for folded fabric.

If you have adequate storage without going two feet deep I'd think about partitioning the shelves somehow to keep items from "drifting" out of reach!
Old 05-18-2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by LeaNS
I had the same problem, this is what I did, unfold fabric (as it comes off the bolt), take your 6.5 inch ruler and use it to fold the fabric around it, kind of like circling around the ruler. Once complete, slide the ruler out and fold in half. Sort according to colours, looks very impressive, I will try to attach some photos. Hopefully this makes sense,
AWESOME! And what a great way to see the colors you have and the fabric doesn't fall down and become a mess.
Great Job!
Old 05-18-2011, 03:38 PM

My shelves are deep too so I use clear plastic bins with covers (the kind you can slip under a bed) and that way I can sort by theme or color and am able to see what's in them from the front of the shelf. They stack well too. I label with a short description on the front.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:46 PM

I love looking at everyone's stash!
Old 05-18-2011, 06:46 PM

I went to a place called Tab Plastic's, pick up some what they called junky pieces. I tried to get them around the size of 11-12 by 8-9, I folded my fabric in half and rolled in on to this. I have about 10 or 12 done, need to go get more to add to it. Other than than that I have about 8 bins, that I can't find anything in them without going thru all of them.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:48 PM

Have you thought about plastic storage boxes the size if a shoe box? That is what I us and it works great. They are stackable and you can see what inside because they are clear.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

Hey everyone,
I'm making LOTS of progress!!
I've used tips from everyone! Awesome :D:D

Can't wait to post the "after" pics :thumbup: :thumbup: