Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please Help me find a solution >

Please Help me find a solution

Please Help me find a solution

Old 10-16-2013, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

I think the sheer fabric is a great idea. But, I also would ask her to hand wash the quilt if she can. For goodness sake tule is a fragile fabric that won't last the machine either.

I am so very sorry this has happened to you murphy.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Yes, I would consider a layer of sheer fabric on top and then meander to hold it in place. Add ribbon of rick rack to cover the sheer raw edge.
I think this is a brilliant idea! Tulle is very sheer and will be practically invisible after the meander. You could even get some sparkle tulle to add some highlights.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:19 AM

I have been advised to use tulle on an old quilt to fix it, but I don't wash it, it was my Aunties'.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:48 PM

I asked Amanda, the owner of crazymomquilts blog, if she'd had similar problems with the ticker tape quilt she made 4 years ago. This was her response to me:

"I didn't free motion quilt my ticker tape pieces on, I used a walking foot to attach the pieces. I didn't use fusible, I just sewed the pieces on, which quilted the piece at the same time. The edges are supposed to fray. If they get stringy, just trim them up! It's not supposed to be perfect. I hope that helps!"
Old 10-16-2013, 04:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
I am so sorry she is not happy with it. I think she should also learn to be thankful for her gift. you tried, lessons learned and all that the gift was made with your love and time. ).
Elisabrat... I get the impression that the grandniece is not disappointed in the quilt itself , but the fact that it is coming apart.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:24 PM

Is it really coming apart or is it just fraying and stringy? I agree with Amanda, I've made a couple of ticker tape quilts using her pattern and they are SUPPOSED to be fray-y looking.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:11 PM

I would tell them to hand soak the quilt in the future, either in the bathtub or washing machine with no agitation at all. Spin (or drain, if in the tub) the soapy water out (I recommend Orvis instead of laundry soap), fill with rinse water and soak (again, no agitation at all), then drain or spin that out. Repeat with another rinse in exactly the same way. Line dry out of sunlight, never dry in the dryer with heat. The agitation in a washing machine is very hard (and not recommended) on all quilts. One like this is particularly vulnerable to damage from agitation.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:01 PM

If it was me, I would take the time to zig zag around all the little pieces, yes it will take a long time & lots of patience, but you will be appliquilting the piece at the same time. I know it is a completed quilt, but it is so beautiful & was what she asked for.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy1 View Post
She is coming up laster this month with the quilt. I haven't seen it yet. I know when I washed it before giving it there were lots of strings. I clipped and fray checked it then. It is all cotton fabric used in other quilts. Hind sight I should have zigzag attached them, but there were soooo many pieces. I fmq around each piece instead. Now I am sad.
Raw edge appliqué.....never having done it but just thinking about it does bring up lots of shedding! Has anyone done one cutting the pieces out with pinking shears-isn't that supposed to eliminate all that stringing? Also, when did you give this quilt and how many times has it been washed since then.....maybe a bit over over-washing? JMHO
Old 10-18-2013, 05:45 AM

Thank you so much for all the helpful comments. I haven't seen the quilt yet, but all your suggestions are so helpful. I think the tule advise might be what I try and with a sparkly one, sounds fun. I will suggest the washing strategies and hopefully she will take the advice. It would have been great to put the sleeve on the back and have it as a wall quilt, but if it is as ragged as I imagine, lessons learned.