Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  Longarm is to the repair shop, looking for a temporary solution >

Help! Longarm is to the repair shop, looking for a temporary solution

Help! Longarm is to the repair shop, looking for a temporary solution

Old 09-24-2017, 05:26 AM

Default Help! Longarm is to the repair shop, looking for a temporary solution

Hi everyone,
I have a HandiQuilter longarm quilting machine and I do commissioned quilts. I always have a long waiting list. I had to bring my machine at the repair shop this week and it's bad. There is something wrong with the motor, it will need to be fixed. I'm ok with that, but they will need to order some parts and it may take up to 4 weeks before I get it back.
There is no local shop where I could rent a machine or a studio were I could rent some time. I don't have any quilting friend, and one of the reason why I'm so busy is because nobody in my area have a longarm, so I got all the orders for anything bigger than a baby quilt :-)
Now, I'm pulling my hair at how I could finish my orders without my longarm.
I'm not used anymore to free motion quilt on my domestic sewing machine.
I do have a Juki Tl-98. I know some people put this one on a frame.
I'm thinking about some of those solutions:
1) Could I use my frame to at least sandwich the quilt? Anyone having done that?
2) Is there a way to install a straight stitch sewing machine on an existing frame? I suppose I would have to order a fitting carriage. It would be wonderful to have a "backup" machine when I have to bring my machine for repair or such.
3) Any other idea or solution?
Thanks,
Annie
Old 09-24-2017, 05:37 AM

I would contact the customers to see if they are willing to wait for your machine to be repaired. It would be better to finish those quilts on the longarm rather than attempting to complete them in another manner. I limit the number of quilts that I take in at any one time for this reason. Sorry to hear of your trouble - but I am sure it will be back home and running perfectly.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:44 AM

I have contacted some customers already (the ones with bigger size quilts, and the ones with orders that I know could wait). But I have at least two orders that are very custom quilts required for a specific event, so I just can't let them down. Those quilts are the ones that concern me. They are small size (toddler and lap) so not totally un-manageable without a longarm, but still, I'm just not used anymore to do this the good old way.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:02 AM

Hugs to you in a tight spot.

I would try to avoid doing any quilts on a regular sewing machine if you are not proficient. Also trying to long arm on a totally different machine is not the answer either for custom work.

They can gift the tops at the event and then take them back for the quilting.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 View Post
Hugs to you in a tight spot.

I would try to avoid doing any quilts on a regular sewing machine if you are not proficient. Also trying to long arm on a totally different machine is not the answer either for custom work.

They can gift the tops at the event and then take them back for the quilting.
Thanks for the hugs, I need it! Unfortunately, sending only the top is not a solution. For exemple, one quilt was required for a family photo session. It would not look good with only a top.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:24 AM

Sorry for your trouble! How on earth do you take a long arm machine in for service? Do you have to take it apart?
Old 09-24-2017, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Sorry for your trouble! How on earth do you take a long arm machine in for service? Do you have to take it apart?
I only bring the "head" of the machine. This way I was able to bring it to a repair shop that is 2.5 hour drive from me. Local repair shop could send somebody home, but it would have taking a few weeks just to get a diagnostic! not to mention having it repair. A few months business. Couldn't afford that...
Old 09-24-2017, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

i previously used my juki 98 on my frame. i would suggest that you try that. you can meander or do narrow pantographs with it. sorry you are having the issue
Old 09-24-2017, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i previously used my juki 98 on my frame. i would suggest that you try that. you can meander or do narrow pantographs with it. sorry you are having the issue
I'm thinking of setting up a "temporary solution" kit, but I can't afford the space to have a second frame to put my Juki on it. Is there a place one can buy only a carriage and electric system to put a machine on it, and then put it on the existing rail of the machine (it's a 16 inch one)? Or is there a very easy to dismantle frame available on the market? My HandiQuilter has wheel, not my Juki, so I need a carriage.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

Not a possibility for most of us - but many professional longarmers have two (or more!) longarms. Usually one is for free motion quilting, and the other uses robotics, so both can be busy at the same time. I'm sure this also helps if one of the machines has to go in for service.

joe'smom - as profannie said, the longarm consists of a machine head, a frame, and a carriage that the machine rides on. For servicing, the machine head (and sometimes the carriage) can be removed and taken to the shop.