Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please Help Me >

Please Help Me

Please Help Me

Old 09-18-2013, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
I don't care what I do, I never get an exact measurement. Apparently, I can't even sew a straight line! How crazy is that? I've made over 50 quilts and am still struggling with this. I've read a zillion articles, looked at a bazillion websites, and tried my best. So, don't feel alone with this problem. So far, my best new trick is to use Mary Ellen's (I use a tone of this stuff) and spray it on the fabric before cutting out the shapes, make them a little bigger and cut them down to size like others suggest, and spray it on after stitching the patches together. If I don't "cut big and trim down" the patches never measure what they should no matter how carefully I measure and sew. And even then, the blocks don't always come out right size. I've come to accept my flaws and not fret over things not being perfect.
You must be my long lost sister!! LOL!! I have the same things happen and starch has now become my best friend in the sewing room!
Old 09-19-2013, 04:12 AM

Make sure you have a 1/4 seam allowance that can make a big difference also. I'm a trimmer too but in case pieces are already cut!
Old 09-19-2013, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

i'm with the others... i use the trim down method
Old 09-19-2013, 04:53 AM

thanks for that tute, for some reason it 's the one I always forget...........do always add the 1 " for assurance and cut down, especially on the mini's
Old 09-19-2013, 05:16 AM

I add 1 inch to the finished dimension, and then cut down using the Tucker Trimmer ruler......I really like those - keeps me more accurate than others..... Just my 5 cents' worth...
Old 09-19-2013, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Here is my tutorial on many different triangles, including the Half Square Triangles you need. It's in pdf. format so you will need adobe reader to open it. That is available free on the internet for download.

As a quick reference, make your base squares ONE INCH larger than the desired half square triangles, then trim them down for better accuracy after sewing them.

Jan in VA
Wow, that was wonderful. I printed it out for future reference. (The first row of your "mountains" has also been labeled as "pyramids".) This will be so helpful to keep in my records. PS. It took me a while to understand the 4-patch on point on page 5, but I finally got it.

Last edited by maviskw; 09-19-2013 at 05:29 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:33 AM

Red face What a helpful pdf! Thanks a bunch!

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Here is my tutorial on many different triangles, including the Half Square Triangles you need. It's in pdf. format so you will need adobe reader to open it. That is available free on the internet for download.

As a quick reference, make your base squares ONE INCH larger than the desired half square triangles, then trim them down for better accuracy after sewing them.

Jan in VA
I so appreciate all you gals out there in in QB! I can't hardly wait to read all the advice that comes to me via e-mail. I'm learning so much and whoever thought about starting this site is amazing too.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:33 AM

When I use this method, I prefer to make them bigger and cut them down too. But, recently I purchased a CD called Triangulations (~$30). On the CD are paper patterns to make any size HST. Them come out perfect every time. I just use regular paper, the only downside is that you have to rip the paper out but I don't mind. They are perfect every time and no trimming necessary.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by jlm5419 View Post
Personally, I prefer the square to be a little big so I can trim it to size, square it up, etc.
Yes, making them a little bigger and trimming works best for me too.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

Jan.... You are my hero! Love the pdf