Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please Help!!! >

Please Help!!!

Please Help!!!

Old 02-04-2012, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by dchev View Post
I have been sewing and collecting fabric most of my life now I'm overwelmed with fabric and feel that I won't live long enough to get it worked up I have given a quilt to just about everyone that I know and I still have a large stack of blankets left. My so called home is over take with fabric of many many colors and designs. I have 4 rooms filled with fabric and could not tell you what all of the fabrics that I have I have tried and tried to straighten them out but have soooo much I don't ever get it right. I feel like I am going to die with the one that has the most fabrics. Does anyone have any ideas that could help me get this overwelming down to a reasonable amount that I could handle I have tried to help people on this board when they need a piece to finish something but never get a responce back on what they need.I have been watching people post they have soo much they don't know what to do and I have them all beat.
Why don't you invite some friends over and have a quilting party? You could make lap quilts to donate to an organization such as Quilts for Kids. (quiltsforkids.org) They even have simple patterns on their website you could use to do so and they go to kids who are suffering from terrible diseases. It certainly would make you feel better knowing all that fabric is going to a good cause.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:48 AM

Could you make quilts for those getting kemo treatment at oncologist offices? I just recently contacted my oncologist and offered to make quilts for her patients and she was delighted! I just made my first year after breast cancer surgery and starting to get my energy back, so I thought to make quilts for those less fortunate (I was lucky to only need radiation)Just check your local oncologist office. If you don't find one, I can give your the name and address of mine and would not mind repaying you for your postage. Or call me Phone number removed for safety - please send by PM

Last edited by sharon b; 02-04-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:58 AM

If your guild has a service group, reach in grab a stack and donate it to them. If yor guild is a 5013C you can take a donation credit on your taxes. If you don't have access to a guild service group, call around to local churches to see if they have a similiar group. I found a home for a stack of double knits with a church group who makes blankets for a overseas charity...they were happy as punch to receive the gift. Since you have quilting fabric How about making pillowcases for charity (It will give you a change of sewing for awhile.) Donate to Million pillowcase challenge or Salvation Army, or Children's hospital, or Shirner's Burn Hospitals. When all else fails...TAke a small stack of fabric and give to your guild as a meeting door prize. The key is start small....If you sew with a group my guess is that there is someone who is really suffering in these ecoomic times from lack of employment or fixed income you might invite them over and give them enought fabric to make a quilt or bedrunner, etc. They will be appreciative and you will diminish your stacks. ( I speak from a similiar problem.....I have 8 black garbage bags of material from my Mother's sewing room. She is now in a facility with demetia and can't sew any longer. I have been slowly washing all of the fabric and finding new homes for it.)
Old 02-04-2012, 06:09 AM

There are several of us who live in Texas. Do you need some to come and help you to organize? To deliver fabric to groups who will make charity quilts or otherwise help you out? You speak about thinking about dying with all of your fabric left behind. When my mother was getting older she did not have the energy to deal with large problems like your fabric might be. This is why I am asking if you need help.
I definitely do NOT mean to imply that any of us would come and help ourselves to your fabric, only come and be willing hands to help a fellow quilter. There must be some of us some of us in reasonable distance - 100 miles or so- of you.

Last edited by TanyaL; 02-04-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:10 AM

I would go through and pick out my favorites. Save the blenders and get rid of all the focal fabric you don't like.
I know I have a lot of focal fabric I bought because the price was right and now know I will never use it.
You could sell it or donate it to a guild that does charity quilts.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:13 AM

I have to say first, I wish I had that delemma.Anyway,if I was in your shoes I would take a yard of each fabric and donate it to a quilting guild,if there are smaller pieces you don't need or want put them in a box and sell them to the wonderful people on the board.If you need help with all this send out feelers to see if a board member livesby you and will help with the organizing.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:13 AM

Good Luck !!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2012, 06:39 AM

Where in TX are you? Lots of quilters in TX...you might find someone who is willing to help you.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:26 AM

My husband is working in South Texas for the next few months. I travel to see him. Maybe I could make a stop by and help. I also sent you a PM offering to buy ) .. Would love the opportunity to the chat with and hang out with another quilter ..
Old 02-04-2012, 07:30 AM

I am in Austin maybe I could help you out LOL