Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Please help. two colours

Please help. two colours

I am planning the quilting for a top I have just completed. I have two colours, an off-white and a light grey that have definite contrast but I really want the off-white to pop. Should I use denser quilting on the surrounding light grey or should the quilting be denser on the off-white? Should I use a contrasting colour thread on the off-white? In general, what effect does using a contrasting or darker thread for quilting have on an area? The picture is not the best but hopefully it will give you a visual as to what I am talking about. Any and all suggestions and advice are welcome and I thank you in advance.Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1510
Size:  916.9 KB

Power Poster
    Neat top! Dark colours recede so I would quilt them densely with dark thread. I would quilt the light fabrics in matching thread so it ads texture but the thread won’t distract from the shapes.

I agree with Tartan. I'm looking forward to seeing it again when it's finished.

I think you'd want to quilt the gray more densely to flatten, and then perhaps stitch the off-white in the ditch, as that always accentuates a shape. Interesting quilt!
    Lisa

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    when I want to highlight a section, I use matching thread (so just texture) and not as dense as the part that I want to "fade" into the background. Very neat quilt

Blog Entries
    No suggestions but look forward to seeing finished quilt.

I am simply amazed at the optical dimensions of your quilt top. So wonderful! Because I have no clue as to what would happen to the visual impact of any of the above ideas-or others- I will be anxious to see it again when you get it quilted. I can see that you do indeed have a challenge!

DJ
    How to quilt something is always my dilemma, so I have no ideas for you, but you already have great advice from others.

It's an outstanding quilt!

Joe'smom, I like the idea of stitch-in-the-ditch for the white but my concern is the length of the strips. The white strips are up to 32" in length and my batting is to be quilted "4 inches apart". If i sitd, would I still be meeting that requirement?

Thank you, everyone, for your great advice, suggestions and kind comments. I love this board for the willingness of members to help one another. I will post a picture when I have it completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailorwoman View Post
    Joe'smom, I like the idea of stitch-in-the-ditch for the white but my concern is the length of the strips. The white strips are up to 32" in length and my batting is to be quilted "4 inches apart". If i sitd, would I still be meeting that requirement?
    It seems to me that you would be meeting that requirement, unless those off-white strips are wider than 4"?
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
    It seems to me that you would be meeting that requirement, unless those off-white strips are wider than 4"?
    They are only 1 1/2 " so that should work. Thank you.

Wow, I don’t know about the quilting, but that is a really cool quilt
    Lori

No suggestions for quilting, but .....Wow! What a quilt! I love these illusion quilts and yours is spectacular!

Can't really help you with your quilting question.........but I really like your colors.

I made this one for my daughter and her new home. I'm not sure if this will work. It's my first time uploading a picture.

Jim

Name:  Pam's Quilt.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  1.53 MB