Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Can I use two colours?

Blog Entries

Can I use two colours?

I thought I had better put this to the experts.

I really would like to make a Log Cabin Quilt, I have a book on various designs, can I use just two fabrics say one patterned fabric and one plain fabric?

If so how much do you think I would need for a Queen Size bed quilt if I used just two fabrics?
    Aussie Carol

You can do whatever you wish.
    My suggestion would be for you to do a block or two as a test, to ensure you are happy with the look you will get without using an assortment of fabrics.

Quantities would vary ... how wide the strips are, how many logs on each block.
    If you have a pattern, it'll tell you how much of fabric A, B, C, etc. and you could add them together to know what you need.

Otherwise, when doing your sample test blocks, you could keep track as to how much fabric you use and calculate your needs based on the number of blocks you will be using.

What is Queen size to you ... will be a different size to someone else. ]
    Eg. many say 110" square is a KIng yet that's the size I like for my antique double bed!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I don't know about using just 2 fabrics. But different shades of 2 fabrics would be pretty.

You can use two fabrics , but I would be cautious on a quilt that size it could end up not meeting your expectations. I like log cabins for using scrap fabrics the aray of colors always plays well in this pattern. Take a look at the log cabins in the gallery of quilts here it can help you get some visual ideas .
    Here is the link on this site
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/q...enu-b2181.html
    Last edited by Lori S; 04-22-2012 at 05:41 AM.

Here are some pictures of 2 log cabin quilts with 2 fabrics, with a 3rd added in for the centers. The quilts are interesting, attractive, with a rather stark look, much like Amish quilts. Although I am more attracted to scrappy quilts, I can also appreciate these. http://timquilts.wordpress.com/2011/...bin-quilt-top/ These were done with solid color fabrics.

If you look at google images of "2 color log cabin quilts" you will find a few more examples.

You can do anything you want to...it's your quilt. But you MAY be happier with a few more fabrics added in...
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

IMHO, just two fabrics would be a pretty boring quilt.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

I'm thinking you won't acheive any depth in your quilt if you use two colors. There are other patterns more suitable for two fabrics

Blog Entries
    THink you would be happier with more than two colors but would bo a small test block and see if happy with the results

You could use different patterns all in 1 colorway. Say various prints of blue and shirtings and whites.
    Kathy Osterby

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Wilson View Post
    I thought I had better put this to the experts.

I really would like to make a Log Cabin Quilt, I have a book on various designs, can I use just two fabrics say one patterned fabric and one plain fabric?

If so how much do you think I would need for a Queen Size bed quilt if I used just two fabrics?
    I am making a two color log cabin quilt as I write this for my SIL. She requested red and brown. The colors I chose are cranberry and a deep gold. Both have a design. The pattern I am doing is call "Barn Raising" which lends itself well to the log cabin pattern. This is just a suggestion. This quilt will be 110" square. I purchased 9 yds of the cranberry and 6 yds of the gold. I will use the excess material for pillow shams and maybe a bed ruffle. It will be backed in dark red. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Sharon

I made mine in brown and green. I used all different shades of each color. I'm not sure that is what you mean.If you want just 2 colors and only 1 shade of each color it should work too. Mary
    Mary

As others have said, two colors work well with the log cabin pattern. I have made a pink/blue, by request from my DMIL, cranberry/pink, lt grn/orange-gold. I really like darks and lights, though. You can make whatever you like, whatever looks good to you. I used the Eleanor Burns Log Cabin book. It will tell you how much fabric of each, and it is very quick to make. Strip piecing goes really fast and makes a wonderful quilt. Just make sure your blocks are squared up before putting them together.

I agree with everyone else. Technically you can do anything you want, but my first thought is why do all that piecing when in the end it would be almost the same as just making large half-square triangles.

I think making a Log Cabin quilt with just 2 colors would be very pretty if you used different shades of the 2 colors, not just each of the 2 colors exactly the same--ie. using blues in hues from light to medium or medium to dark or light to medium to dark. I agree with gayle bong that using the exact same fabric for all the logs would be a lot of work for what would basically end up looking like half-square triangles.

Blog Entries
    I would do a test of a block or four to see if you'll like it. Just from you description and not seeing a picture, i don't think it would be a log cabin.
    The Quilting Bear

Blog Entries
    I think different shades in the 2 colours is a nice log cabin. Just using 2 colours only seems a waste of time joining all those seams together

Instead of Log Cabins, why don't you do a 2 color Courthouse Steps, with boldly contrasting colors. Same kind of cutting and stitching, but I think a much more interesting outcome. Just a thought. Try a practice block with that.
    MacThayer

Quote Originally Posted by gayle bong View Post
    I agree with everyone else. Technically you can do anything you want, but my first thought is why do all that piecing when in the end it would be almost the same as just making large half-square triangles.
    This is true they are very pretty when the colors are done in different shades. I'm afraid it would look like 1/2 sq. triangles. with a lot of cutting and sewing to get there.good luck. Mary
    Mary

I personally think it would be a boring quilt, too.....and here's another thought. Why cut all those strips and then sew them back together.....by doing only 2 colors each color would blend in and you wouldn't see the seams. As others say, try doing a block or two and see if you like it. I'm for 2 colors but with different patterns, etc. in each color.
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

FWIW I recently finished one of these myself. I did a black/gold print for the dark and a gold/dark print for the light with a goldy/red for the center square trying to stay somewhat traditional to the pattern concept. Sorry - don't have pics. I think it came out pretty well myself, as does a friend of mine who has been quilting much longer than I have. I then used the same center square fabric for the binding. This is for a friends' son's HS graduation. Did an over-sized twin. Wanted this in his (high) school colors thinking he could take this off to college with him. The log cabin was the only pattern I could come up with using these colors and not have the quilt looking too 'girly'. I will agree it's a tedious process. that said, it did go together relatively quickly. But I'm not likely to do another log cabin for a loooong time. But that's just me.