Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Please share your best money-saving tips for quilters on a budget

Chain stitch whenever possible so you save thread and do not have threads all over yourself or the workroom.

Share or trade quilting books with friends, use the library to check out books, and use the internet to get patterns without charge. Save pattern ideas in folders while browsing on your computer. You don't have to print out everything you see. When printing, use black only and be sure to preview the item in case you only want to print part of an article.

Have fun and go with the idea of being resourceful and inventive, rather than feeling sorry for yourself. Attitude is important and when in the right frame of mind, anything is possible. Hugs to you:-)

MommaDorina, I think I should get a bumper sticker that says that, don't you?

Use any leftover thread from the bobbin for hand sewing.

Buy concentrated liquid starch and mix your own spray starch.

For lightweight quilts - use flannel purchased on sale instead of full-priced batting.

The best money saving tip I can share is ------ know what you need ----- make a list and stick to it! Know what you already have and where it can be found! It is a waste to buy the same thing twice.

Blog Entries
    Yard sales and thrift stores are good, but I've discovered that church groups really do clean out their closets and seem to really give till it hurts. I don't want to ever make them feel unloved, so I do get lots of lovely fabric from them, in one shape or other.

When making my hexagons, I use the small amounts of thread on my bobbins and spools to baste them...never my better thread...I also use sheets for backing...when doing a scrappy quilt I will sew up all leftover fabrics and use that for my backing also...for string quilts I use fabrics I don`t really like as my foundation... I will also trade or borrow patterns when I can...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrammaNan
    MommaDorina, I think I should get a bumper sticker that says that, don't you?
    Absolutely!! It would be perfect.

the lqs near my work has a buck a block quilt that they offer in two colorways. i bought both. i figure i cando all the blocs and then find a coordinating fabric at joann's with a coupon or even walmart. all in all it shouldn't be more than $30 for a lap or twin size quilt top!

Blog Entries
    go to used book stores and buy quilting books, less than $1.00 each and some of the books were $24.95 each original price

Keep all extras of batting larger pieces for QAYG wallhangings or bing together for smaller Quilts, toss all scrappies into bins larger @ smaller pieces. And chain stitch as often as possible. Paper bags for templates, old candy, cookie tins for all the small stuff (w/a label) no fun going thur 10 tins for spool of thread :)
    Good Ideas above !!

I make crumb borders along with NEVER paying more than 3.99 a yard for anything and that is pricy for me, I use lots of scraps,buy old curtians and things at good will and yard sales etc.this pic dont show it well but I sew all the little pieces into a border.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love to go to garage sales and thrift stores, to find books, magazines, fabrics, and patterns. Also check the classifieds here, I have gotten some really inexpensive magazines, ect. Even traded a few people for fabric, and that was SO fun!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    I love to go to garage sales and thrift stores, to find books, magazines, fabrics, and patterns. Also check the classifieds here, I have gotten some really inexpensive magazines, ect. Even traded a few people for fabric, and that was SO fun!
    I am resisting the urge to ask how much fabric you get per person?

if some one offers me something i take go threw and see what i can use or might use the other i give away

Blog Entries
    First thing you do is go to this website. Bonnie Hunter is the Queen of recycled fabrics for quilts.

http://quiltville.com/

Blog Entries
    My biggest $$ saving tip would be to stay completely away from the vintage machines!! :lol: (They are SO addictive!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    My biggest $$ saving tip would be to stay completely away from the vintage machines!! :lol: (They are SO addictive!!)
    Could I please use your saying about dust and patina? I love it!!! And my house has a lot of patina.

Don't forget Craigslist. In my area there is usually a store that is closing or a grandmother who has passed away. A lot of times they are just anxious to get rid of it and you can score big.

Blog Entries
    I just discovered that IF you purchase an entire roll of batting (it comes at this store at 80 yards per roll) it is cheaper if the employee doenst have to "do" anything to it (like measuring and cutting)..it sells for $1.50 a yard if you have it measured, but in buying the entire roll of 80 yards, I got it for $1.00 per yard.......of course it will last for a year and its a huge roll, but that is a lot of $$ saved !!!

Blog Entries
    we went in with a couple girls in my group, and got the roll of batting..we wait until we have the 2 coupons to use..the 40 or 50% and the extra 10 or 20% off your total order. we have done it with bolts of muslin. we just share.
    i use the local freecycle to get fabric also.

Blog Entries
    I long ago decided to save $$ on thread by keeping just 3 colors of the good stuff.Superior thread in light beige is my choice.Not cheap, but I use the cone size & it lasts & lasts.Also keep one each of white & black,but the beige works fine with everything else.I usually make a sample block before starting a quilt.These can be used for totes,pillows etc.
    Decide on a string block size,cut cheap/thin backing to size & cover with strings.They pile up pretty quick & make nice throws,quilts or table runners/pillows.Nice for gifts.

I haven't bought fabric for a while, but when we used to get it at Joanns, we got to know the mgr. If we were getting the whole bolt she would let us have it at the sale price even when the sale was not on. We only bought for backings and borders so could use large quantities.

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    remnants! always half price and at Joann's for instance, if it's on sale already, the remnant is half of the sale price. Lots of patterns/possibilities for scrap quilts out there.

I think now with the economy so bad and funds so limited, I'm going to start really saving by not buying any fabric and totally depending on my stash. I'm sure I can come up with some pretty creative ideas and think of all the gas I'll save.

At my age, I don't want to even think of my sons having to give all my beautiful fabric away that I spent years collecting. This new sewing year should be very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by maryb119
    I use Warm and Natural batting. I save the left over pieces and then I cut the edges straight and butt them together and use the three step zig zag stitch to stitch them together. The three step zig zag is a stitch the looks like a zig zag but has three stitches one way and then three stitches the other way. The edges lay flat without a "ridge" that a regular zigzag leaves. Once the item is quited. you can't tell it it was joined together or not. Why wast good batting?
    I do the same thing.

Your right, you can drop some money in the fabric stores, ( I love it) but my best bargains comes from garage sales or estate sales. So far I have no one that have offered donations, but I am waiting :)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast