Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please share your Homemade/repurposed sewing tables! >

Please share your Homemade/repurposed sewing tables!

Please share your Homemade/repurposed sewing tables!

Old 10-17-2012, 02:35 AM

I have a bar height stool that I sit on. Also a drafting chair, but I don't like sitting on that as much. The table height is perfect for me to prop a foot on the bottom shelf, and use the foot pedal with the other.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:00 AM

I bought two three-drawer dressers from Ikea. Lowe's cut a piece of 3/4" plywood into three pieces for me at no charge: two 19" pieces and one piece almost 12" wide, the length of the board (96"). I put a piece of felt on top of each dresser and laid the two 19" pieces of plywood on top of one another to align with the outside ends of the dressers. It is neat and attractive with room for a sewing machine and a serger. I have one of my cutting mats available at all times. This is a very sturdy sewing table with knee-hole space in the center. The almost 12" wide piece of plywood became a shelf above the sewing surface to hold boxes of FQ's and scraps.

My wife was pleased that I had a good sturdy sewing surface with six nice-sized drawers to hold the clutter that most often results when I tackle a new project.

I'll see if my daughter will take pictures and help me post them.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:15 AM

LOVE THIS! He did a great job.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:17 AM

My dad made my sewing table using the Rockler lift. He made it a gateleg since my room is very small. When I am FMQing, I just lift up the table flap. The lift allows the machine to either sit flush or raise up when changing the bobbin. A good adjustable height ergonomic office chair also helps. I think I still have the plans if anyone wants them!
Attached Thumbnails back-work-surface-up.jpg   new-sewing-cabinets.jpg  
Old 10-17-2012, 03:41 PM

Oh I'm so jealous of all of you. I'm still working on the kitchen table!
Old 10-17-2012, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady View Post
Thank you and yes, I started out with the BOM of Henrietta Whiskers but after 2 blocks it became an UFO. I took the two blocks and made a fall tote using the Cantebury FQs from Connecting Threads. Does that it mean it's not an UFO anymore? Here's a pic of the front and back of tote.[ATTACH=CONFIG]370349[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]370344[/ATTACH]
Beautiful job and great idea....Hoping to do this one some day !! You have one more ufo gone..congratulations.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:23 PM

I'll try and get some pics tomorrow, but basically:
We bought 2 unfinished kitchen base cabinets at Home Depot, that he took off the toe kick. That, coupled with the 2 in base that he made for my foot pedal, results in everything being the right height for me
Built a shelf connecting the 2 that the machine sits on, with a hole in the counter top, so it is recessed
That by itself is a good sized table, but he added another 2 1/2 ft x 4 ft top that's on hinges, so it folds down. So far, it is never folded down though
Old 10-17-2012, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
Son 1 did a remodel on a desk I got from Craigslist for $15 bucks. He used a Dremel Trio to cut and do part of the sanding.

I lost the center drawer and the top right drawer because of the machine setting down in the desk. He screwed a piece of wood across the end on the inside and use a board to support the machine. There's a small stack of wood in the center drawer screwed down to the drawer to support that end of the machine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]369970[/ATTACH]
I like this-------------problem is I don't have room for another piece of furniture. Just thought though, if I added casters, I could push it into a corner when no being used.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:09 AM

[QUOTE=RugosaB;5593748]I'll try and get some pics tomorrow, but basically:
We bought 2 unfinished kitchen base cabinets at Home Depot, that he took off the toe kick. That, coupled with the 2 in base that he made for my foot pedal, results in everything being the right height for me
Built a shelf connecting the 2 that the machine sits on, with a hole in the counter top, so it is recessed
That by itself is a good sized table, but he added another 2 1/2 ft x 4 ft top that's on hinges, so it folds down. So far, it Got the pics:
Attached Thumbnails image1.jpg   image2.jpg  
Old 10-18-2012, 07:02 AM

[QUOTE=RugosaB;5594356]
Originally Posted by RugosaB View Post
I'll try and get some pics tomorrow, but basically:
That by itself is a good sized table, but he added another 2 1/2 ft x 4 ft top that's on hinges, so it folds down. So far, it Got the pics:
Love your set-up but especially noted your caned-back chair - what a treasure!