Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please share your tips when using flannel >

Please share your tips when using flannel

Please share your tips when using flannel

Old 11-01-2012, 02:51 PM

Interesting reading here. I have only bought flannel from my LQS so its decent quality--I have had it distort so much. The pieces were pre-printed with great pictures and I was making baby blankets. I pre-washed and it was so distorted. They said sometimes it comes off the roller distorted. But this has happened more than once so now I don't pre-wash and deal with it later. I have had to go back and buy more fabric to make backing fit.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:57 PM

When I make quilts I use a walking foot for piecing or a Pfaff with the built-in walking foot. Pin everything to death, this stuff is kinda stretchy.
Sharon
Old 11-01-2012, 06:51 PM

Thanks for the tips.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by alwayslearning View Post
Oops! I am quilting one now with flannel back and only pre-washed once. I'll see what happens. Live and learn.
I usually only wash my flannel in hot or warm fabric once, then dry it on medium. I have not had any problem but then everyone I know washes their quilts in cold/cool water with fabric softener with no problems.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:47 AM

I use flannel as backing for quilts a lot and have never pre washed more than once and have never had a problem. I love flannel backings as they are so soft and cuddly.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:55 AM

I'm so glad I saw this post. I like to use flannel on my quilt backs but have such a hard time keeping from getting that stretchy, tucks, puckers look. I have tried basting with clamps, basting sections at a time, basting the whole thing with tons of pins - nothing makes it easier. I do pre-wash my flannel, but never thought to starch it. I will try this next time!
Old 11-03-2012, 12:05 PM

I used flannel backing for a top with regular cotton. I didn't pre-wash. It shrunk about five inches in length. That was ok, since it gave a great crinkle effect and since the quilt did not have to be any particular size. That was before I heard you should pre-wash flannel. But since the end result was perfectly fine with me, I don't think I will pre-wash in the future.