Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please show your quilted sweatshirt jackets :) >

Please show your quilted sweatshirt jackets :)

Please show your quilted sweatshirt jackets :)

Old 10-02-2013, 04:49 AM

oh - and I used the back jeans pockets for my front pockets with couched thread. I left the bottom ribbing on it, which gave it some form instead of flaring out like a tent. haha
Old 10-02-2013, 05:02 AM

Jerri McKee makes sweatshirt jackets. This is her website: www.moonlightdesignquilts.com She has done worskshops at the Hershey Show and the Mid-Appalachian Quilters symposium held at Mount Saint Mary's and other places too. If you get one of her patterns or go to one of her workshops, she is very responsive to any questions you may have. Her jackets are beautiful. I just went to her website and it appears October 17 she is doing a trunk show and lecture with the Merrimack Valley Quilters in Plaistow, New Hampshire and she is doing a workshop on the Crazy Curves Jacket on October 19. You might want to check it out. I really enjoyed taking her workshop at Mount Saint Mary's.
Helen
Old 10-02-2013, 05:49 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]439293[/ATTACH]You might like this jacket called "Midnight Glacier, very easy to make. You can find the pattern on internet- I made mine in 2010.
Attached Thumbnails quilt-quilted-jacket-made-nov-2010-front-view.jpg  
Old 10-02-2013, 07:38 AM
KLO

d.rickman, Wow, wow, wow! Your jacket is fabulous! Very high end looking for sure. You could wear that anywhere and not look like you are wearing a quilt. I really, really like it.

edited: Just found the pattern for your jacket at Nancy's Notions but it looks like yours has a nice collar. Did you just add that yourself? For myself, I like the added collar.

Last edited by KLO; 10-02-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:20 AM

There is a pattern out for a double flannel jacket with a collar that is made like the raggedy flannel quilts. The raggedy side is on the outside. It was quite boxy looking with a zipper instead of buttons. I saw it on someone, so I don't know the pattern name or designer. It was cute, but looked like a block with no shaping.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:47 AM

Ami Simms has a rag jacket pattern:

http://www.amisimms.com/ragfurjacket1.html

I bought the pattern and have no idea why... I'm a plus size and I probably will look horrid in it, but I just love rag quilting!!
Old 10-02-2013, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
For an easy pattern, google "bog coat". You can make them any weight and use any fabrics.
i found this http://www.mtnladyarns.com/weaving.pdf
what an easy design that is! thanks for suggesting it
Old 10-02-2013, 10:23 AM

Really like all of the sweatshirt jackets that everyone has made. I started one with a quilting guild about 6 years ago and I guess I will have to take it out and finish it.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:31 AM

Something I wrote up when making one

Enhanced Sweatshirt

1 sweatshirt one size larger than worn normally
2 matching strips the length of the sweat shirt top to bottom of “Borders made Easy”
2 pieces of 11 inches wide width of fabric of matching or contrasting batik
Color matched thread to sweatshirt.

Find middle of sweatshirt front and mark a vertical midline from collar to bottom of waist. Sew 1/2 “ seam on either side of marks. Take a deep breath and cut up the middle.

Fold your batik in half length-wise. Leave 1 inch at the bottom and fold in. Leave 2 inches at the top and cut off extra. Do not discard. Press. Put raw edges against the cut edge of the sweatshirt front matching the bottom folded edge with the bottom of the sweatshirt. Pin ensuring it is flat. Sew a seam 1/2 inch in from top to bottom.

Fold in over the 1/2 “ margin leaving 1/2 inch of material showing at the front. Most of batik will now be inside sweater.

Place “Borders Made Easy” pattern on the edge of the sweater . Make sure pattern placement is even on both sides. Sew on all vertical lines...broken and solid. One should be just inside the edge of the turned over edge and the other should hold down the inside far edge of the material.

Cut out the material between the narrow wavy lines but not the center losanges. Do not cut past ribbing. Make cuts close to seam line with small sharp-ish scissors taking care not to cut underlying material or seam. Discard removed material.

Tuck inside and hand stitch the collar end of the material.
Wear and enjoy!
Old 10-02-2013, 01:37 PM

Here is one I made for my sis's birthday, posted about it earlier
[ATTACH=CONFIG]439388[/ATTACH]
made from a pattern that called for sewing the pieces together first then cutting open the sweatshirt per instructions and re-cutting the pieced flat fabric using the sweatshirt as the pattern then, sew back together. My sis loved it.
Attached Thumbnails janproject.jpg