Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please show your quilted sweatshirt jackets :) >

Please show your quilted sweatshirt jackets :)

Please show your quilted sweatshirt jackets :)

Old 10-01-2013, 05:06 PM

TrueColors - Linda sure has changed what sweatshirts look like! I love how she does it. Have you made one or taken her class?

Gail - those are great jackets! Such vibrant colors! Are they a pattern or your own design?
Old 10-01-2013, 05:06 PM

I've made 15 of them and 2 vests from denim shirts, and one jacket from a denim shirt. I made up my own sweatshirt jacket pattern. It is easy to use sweatshirt fabric. I also made 2 hand bags to match the jackets.
Enjoy and have a good time making one. I really like to do this because I like to pick out the fabric. I used 1 1/2 inch strips.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:05 PM

I made one for my mom and another for my MIL. They both wear them a lot. I have a sweatshirt and jelly roll to make one for myself in blues and browns. Seems like it would be the perfect weight for spring and fall here in Wisconsin.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]439252[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]439253[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_2373.jpg   img_2551.jpg  
Old 10-01-2013, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by TrueColors View Post
Londa Rohlfing has a good site. She has "talking patterns" & I see she has some youtube videos.
I made one of her patterns. Did a lot of fitting to the pattern first. I don't like the bunch of fabric under the arm pit and the shouler seam almost to my elbow. I'm tall and heavy. She's not like me. If I start with a 3x, mens tall, maybe there'll be enough fabric to make one. I used a grey sweat shirt and faded black jeans for embellishment and to make it long enough.

Also, I made a jacket from 2 sweat shirts I got at thrift stores. Again, I used the fabric from the sweat shirts and cut it out with a commercial pattern for the fit. It's covered with squares of fabric.

I need help from DH to get pictures onto the computer and since it's after midnight, I'm not going to ask now. Pictures tomorrow/today in the morning.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:52 AM

I have made several of these. I just cut the sweatshirt apart, cut all the ribbing off, cut the front down the center. Then I put fabric on it and quilt it. I made one of two coordinating fabrics with the shirt of one fabric and the sleeves the other. I wore it this past weekend and got another compliment on it. I know it is at least 10 or 12 years old, but people still like it. I have fabric to make another one but haven't gotten around to doing it. I think the next one I will put the sweatshirt upside down to make it a little more puffy after it is quilted.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
TrueColors - Linda sure has changed what sweatshirts look like! I love how she does it. Have you made one or taken her class?

Gail - those are great jackets! Such vibrant colors! Are they a pattern or your own design?
They are both made with a pattern. I will find them & post the pattern names.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:35 AM

I got a sweatshirt from my daughter that was already cut down the middle front with the ribbing gone from the bottom. It was too short, so I cut it off about 6 inches from the bottom. I made a Seminole Strip 5 inches wide, and set it in there. I used 6 strips to make it and the top and bottom strip matched the color of the shirt. There was thin batting in there, and I quilted the strip. Then I had to get the binding on without stretching the shirt fabric. Turned out well, took second place in the challenge. The gal who took first place is a fabric artist and does beautiful work. Of course there were only two entries in that category. LOL
Old 10-02-2013, 04:38 AM

In reply to Butterflie19 : I bought one of Londa's patterns, and I really like how she "talks" you through it & gives so much step by step visual support. I am a "super plus" size, so I had to vary off the pattern. I emailed her and asked if she was going to have patterns for us 5X'ers, and she emailed me back (which was nice) and said she was doing some that you can insert more fabric with fleece. I haven't bought that pattern. The one I made, I did a back yoke with a pair of old jeans & machine embroidered Laurel Burch's, Mystical Horses on it. I couched a bunch of threads too. That part came out good. I used the waistband of the jeans as my collar. When I put the front bands on (with strips of jeans), it came out sorta funky, so rite now it's in the UFO pile for me to take out and redo. I planned on using the bottom of the legs where they are still hemmed as part of the sleeve. (Obviously the jeans I used where a pair of mine...haha). I need to pull it out and finish it since fall is coming. Thanks for the reminder. A lot of Londa's jacket's are short, and I need long to cover up by stomach.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Gail B View Post
I haven't made a sweatshirt jacket but did make 2 quilted jackets for myself & one each for two friends. I love them & so do they.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]439226[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]439227[/ATTACH]
These are very pretty, I really like the collar, the one I made does not have a collar and I wish it did. Very nice!
Old 10-02-2013, 04:43 AM

When I made mine I used a sweatshirt, cut off the ribbing, cut off sleeves, cut apart the center front. I sewed the strips on as a QAYG. Didn't actually quilt it. Once the pieces were all covered with fabric I sewed them back together and then put a binding around the raw edges. Would have been nice to have a serger to make those inside seams look more finished. When I make one for myself I will add a few inches of fleece to the length since I am tall. You need to realize when you cut the binding off the sleeves and bottom it makes it shorter.