Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Please tell me about "Squishies"

Blog Entries
    You could also use some of that excess material for one of the friendly quilts we make for people from time-to-time. When the need strikes ( like someone is sick, loses a loved one, is down in the dumps - all kinds of reasons that we feel a quilt would HELP), someone takes charge and PMs others, and a bunch of us go into action, make a block or 2 apiece (pun intended) and send them to the person who has said she'll assemble them. Gets done practically overnight and sent on to the person who has said she'll deliver it.

welcome mumzbear from Ohio! Since nobody gave you their address, I'll be glad to give you mine! maybe we can squish each other with a pleasant exchange. please private message me. Craftylady

I would love that. Where are you from? I live in a more rural little town in Utah. What are your quilting interests? How long have you been quilting. Let me tell you a bit about myself.... I quilted years ago but got busy with other things. About two years ago, my daughter started a business quilting duvets made from alpaca batting. My hubby and I went to Idaho to help her. We spent many hours trying to make her machine work. She had a Babylock quilting machine on a Gracie frame. It just wasn't heavy enough for the batting. She finally bought a big Gammel. She called one day and said she wanted to give the machine and frame to her dad and I. Of course, we were thrilled. We have made lots of quilts and love it. Crazy thing...I don't even know how to use it. I sew the tops and my hubby quilts them.
    I am much older than the other ladies on the chat room. I refuse to get old so I just keep going. I am 71. Up until the past year, I was going great. Hubby and I backpacked Europe at 60. I have been plagued with lots of health issues but I refuse to let them get me down.
    I have 5 kids...13 grandkids and another on the way any time. I have been married to the same sweet guy for 50 years.
    I have made many wall hangings but decided to go for bigger things. I am working on a disappearing nine patch for my youngest son's wedding. I just finished two beautiful eagle scout quilts for my grandsons.
    Please tell me more about yourself. I would love to exchange a "squishie" with you. It may take a little while as I have a crazy July. We are camp hosts in the mountains for a church youth group. We stay in a lodge there in the mountains. It is so peaceful. I always take my sewing machine and sew for a week...looking out the window at the animals and beautiful scenery as I sew.
    I will look forward to hearing from you. Have a super day. I love this website. I get a little lonely as my kids live so far away. I have learned so much from these sweet quilters. Looking forward to hearing you.
    Verna from Utah Mumzbear

Quote Originally Posted by STAR
    Hi! I have just joined and have been reading through the forums. Squishies are something I would love to get!! its just nice to get things in the mail besides BILLS! LOL But the reason I am replying is because I have SOOOOOO many totes of fabric that my mom and I will never be able to use up(especially since we buy new stuff from time to time). When my grandma passed years ago we got all her stuff also, this includes unfinished projects and raw material. I would love to make someones day by sending some of these fun packages out to them. So i have read how to pm someone but how do I know who is in need or who might just want some fabric?? or who I could just send some to just because I felt like it. and also what sizes? fq, 1/2 yard, color? matching or scraps? I need more info and most importantly people to send to.
    Hope to have some info soon. Thanx everyone! :lol:

there are ppl on this board that sew for chariities...for children etc....I think they would be the most deserving, in my humble opinion :wink:

Blog Entries
    The American Sewing Quild, ASG, is always looking for fabric. We make different style hats (knits) for cancer patients, and pillowcases for Safespace. As many of the groups meet in fabric stores, they could give you information about donations and joining.
    Mary Ellen

Blog Entries
    Oops-should be Guild.
    ME

Thanx JoanneS and mumzbear for the suggestions!! I have been looking online for different places that could use the fabric and or quilts.

can anyone who sews for charity please pm me a little about which ones and how often you do this , I would like to donate some of my material, thanx star

emmy- is the ASG located in certain states ?

Blog Entries
    http://www.asg.org/files/locator/index.php
    If you go to the above site and select your state and or zip, it will list the chapters. I went to a sewing class where some were wearing their badges. Our meeting is once a month with a demo and sharing of sewing projects, which I like. Charity sewing is once a month. Most groups seem to meet a sewing stores. If the above doesn't work, google asg.org or american sewing guild.
    Mary Ellen

THANX emmy, there is one right in my town!! I would have never known,lol

If people are looking for homes for fabric, I'd be more then happy to supply the home.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2