Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please tell me about "Squishies" >

Please tell me about "Squishies"

Please tell me about "Squishies"

Old 06-25-2009, 10:16 PM

Squishies are great and the angels that send them are A W E S O M E ! !
Old 06-25-2009, 11:06 PM

Hi! I have just joined and have been reading through the forums. Squishies are something I would love to get!! its just nice to get things in the mail besides BILLS! LOL But the reason I am replying is because I have SOOOOOO many totes of fabric that my mom and I will never be able to use up(especially since we buy new stuff from time to time). When my grandma passed years ago we got all her stuff also, this includes unfinished projects and raw material. I would love to make someones day by sending some of these fun packages out to them. So i have read how to pm someone but how do I know who is in need or who might just want some fabric?? or who I could just send some to just because I felt like it. and also what sizes? fq, 1/2 yard, color? matching or scraps? I need more info and most importantly people to send to.
Hope to have some info soon. Thanx everyone! :lol:
Old 06-26-2009, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

Squishies are the best! and you can get a lot in a very small package. Well for me you can . My angel sends me scraps, and since I love looking through them and seeing all the different materials. And passing it on is such fun! I get to pass some of the kindness on next week!!!
Old 06-26-2009, 05:38 AM

Star. If you don't find a home for your fabric, I can suggest a good source. Some older ladies in our town are making humanatarian quilts for Africa. They have scrounged fabric from everywhere. They have also taken girls tee shirts and cut them off a little and added a fabric shirt and have made over 100 dresses. When they showed the movie of the kids and how excited they were we all cried. They have a lady who takes them over every three months. I am so sure they would be delighted to get fabric and would be willing to pay for postage. I have gave them bunches of mine. It is such a devoted group of ladies and they love every minute of it.
I am getting a new grandbaby anyday. The mom is 46 and is overdue 10 days so we are worried. When this all slows down, I have some fun things I want to send as schrunchies.
If you are interested in sharing your fabrics let me know.
I love this site and have met so many wonderful people and learned so much. I am looking forward to getting to know you better. I am Verna (Mumzbear) from Utah. Please let me know about yourself.
Have a super day.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:39 AM

Bye the way...my son is going to marry a gal from Wilmington!
Old 06-26-2009, 07:24 AM

You could also use some of that excess material for one of the friendly quilts we make for people from time-to-time. When the need strikes ( like someone is sick, loses a loved one, is down in the dumps - all kinds of reasons that we feel a quilt would HELP), someone takes charge and PMs others, and a bunch of us go into action, make a block or 2 apiece (pun intended) and send them to the person who has said she'll assemble them. Gets done practically overnight and sent on to the person who has said she'll deliver it.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:04 PM

welcome mumzbear from Ohio! Since nobody gave you their address, I'll be glad to give you mine! maybe we can squish each other with a pleasant exchange. please private message me. Craftylady
Old 06-27-2009, 09:55 PM

I would love that. Where are you from? I live in a more rural little town in Utah. What are your quilting interests? How long have you been quilting. Let me tell you a bit about myself.... I quilted years ago but got busy with other things. About two years ago, my daughter started a business quilting duvets made from alpaca batting. My hubby and I went to Idaho to help her. We spent many hours trying to make her machine work. She had a Babylock quilting machine on a Gracie frame. It just wasn't heavy enough for the batting. She finally bought a big Gammel. She called one day and said she wanted to give the machine and frame to her dad and I. Of course, we were thrilled. We have made lots of quilts and love it. Crazy thing...I don't even know how to use it. I sew the tops and my hubby quilts them.
I am much older than the other ladies on the chat room. I refuse to get old so I just keep going. I am 71. Up until the past year, I was going great. Hubby and I backpacked Europe at 60. I have been plagued with lots of health issues but I refuse to let them get me down.
I have 5 kids...13 grandkids and another on the way any time. I have been married to the same sweet guy for 50 years.
I have made many wall hangings but decided to go for bigger things. I am working on a disappearing nine patch for my youngest son's wedding. I just finished two beautiful eagle scout quilts for my grandsons.
Please tell me more about yourself. I would love to exchange a "squishie" with you. It may take a little while as I have a crazy July. We are camp hosts in the mountains for a church youth group. We stay in a lodge there in the mountains. It is so peaceful. I always take my sewing machine and sew for a week...looking out the window at the animals and beautiful scenery as I sew.
I will look forward to hearing from you. Have a super day. I love this website. I get a little lonely as my kids live so far away. I have learned so much from these sweet quilters. Looking forward to hearing you.
Verna from Utah Mumzbear
Old 06-28-2009, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by STAR
Hi! I have just joined and have been reading through the forums. Squishies are something I would love to get!! its just nice to get things in the mail besides BILLS! LOL But the reason I am replying is because I have SOOOOOO many totes of fabric that my mom and I will never be able to use up(especially since we buy new stuff from time to time). When my grandma passed years ago we got all her stuff also, this includes unfinished projects and raw material. I would love to make someones day by sending some of these fun packages out to them. So i have read how to pm someone but how do I know who is in need or who might just want some fabric?? or who I could just send some to just because I felt like it. and also what sizes? fq, 1/2 yard, color? matching or scraps? I need more info and most importantly people to send to.
Hope to have some info soon. Thanx everyone! :lol:

there are ppl on this board that sew for chariities...for children etc....I think they would be the most deserving, in my humble opinion :wink:
Old 06-28-2009, 12:06 PM

The American Sewing Quild, ASG, is always looking for fabric. We make different style hats (knits) for cancer patients, and pillowcases for Safespace. As many of the groups meet in fabric stores, they could give you information about donations and joining.
Mary Ellen