Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Please tell me we're not crazy!

Please tell me we're not crazy!

This is my first time starting a thread, so here I go!

A couple of weeks before Christmas my husband took me to my local Bernina dealer and bought me a Bernina 10' machine quilting frame. What a guy! Well of course I had to buy the machine to go on it because I now have a Singer Quantum 9960 with less than a 7" throat space. I picked out a 750 QE which he didn't have in stock but had on order and put a down payment on it. Friday morning after Christmas my SIL and I were on our way to our LQS and stopped at the Bernina dealer (it's on the way) so I could ask a couple of questions about my 750, and since she was in the market for a new machine she was more than happy to stop. We looked at machines for her and saw the Bernina Quilt Motion demonstrated (I was considering buying it before we stopped). I had to ponder spending so much for the Quilt Motion since I had just purchased a machine. We left and headed to the quilt shop, talking and laughing about what we could do with the quilt motion on my frame. Well, we talked ourselves into buying it together! So we stopped on our way back home. We bought the Quilt Motion and she also bought herself a Bernina 710. The shop is owned by a Mennonite couple and their son makes solid oak cabinets for the Bernina's and SIL also is buying a cabinet as soon as he can get one made to accommodate the larger machines. The Bernina dealer said his 710 was released the day before and the 750 was released that morning. We weren't home more than 2 hours when SIL got a call that her machine was in. Mine should be here any day.

What I want you all to do is, please, tell me we weren't crazy for buying the Quilt Motion. Neither one of us has ever machine quilted on a frame before.

Chris

Power Poster
    Is Quilt Motion for computer guided quilting? If it is, it is awesome. It allows you to pick quilt patterns and adjust them to fit into different size blocks and borders. You plot in the area and the computer shrinks or expands the design to fit. It will also quilt the design perfectly over and over. I would love to have it and the frame with a Bernina machine. I am computer challenge but I would learn, if I had a space big enough for the frame.

You aren't crazy at all, and you are very lucky to have someone to work on it with you

You are not crazy at all. I have the Qbot and they are wonderful!

Chris, I sure don't think you are crazy! I think you have fun times ahead!!

Dina

Blog Entries
    The diagnosis of crazy is usually made by people other than the person thought to be afflicted,varies according to culture and times. In my professional opinion(LOL). You're not nuts,you're visionary!

Wow I`m jealous...wish I could afford to be that crazy!!! Enjoy your new toys!!!

Yes it is. Made by the Grace Frame Company for Bernina. I've loaded the software on my computer and we have the frame and hardware set up as far as we can go until I get my 750. I've been reading everything I can find and watching every video I can find. I hate to say it, but my SIL is also computer challenged, she's been having trouble figuring out her new sewing "computer", and I'm afraid she'll get discouraged.

I don't think you will find any quilter who thinks you are crazy, I just wish I had one.

If you are crazy, you are in goooooooood company!!!!!!
    Theressa
    Cowgirlquilter

Blog Entries
    Good for both of you It is a good thing to keep your mind working and a learning curve is just the thing to keep you both sharp!
    It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves.

Having the tools you love and use are never crazy.

Blog Entries
    No time like the present to learn.
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

I have a dear friend who has the Bernina Quilt Frame, machine and Quilt Motion. It takes a while to get used to it, but she loves it and the quilting she does is magnificent! I looked into it (I have the Bernina Quilt Frame and use my little 440QE on it) but I'm not ready to spend that much money yet.
    For those of you who don't know about Quilt Motion - it is sold for other machines under different names - is is control board that goes on your carriage under your machine. There is also a control that fastens to your quilt frame handle and you must use a computer to run it all. You select the design, designate the size of your block and it quilts it for you.
    Good luck to you and your SIL. Can't wait to see the beautiful work you will be producing with your new set up!

CRAZY???? NO WAY!!! I only wish i was the one asking if I was crazy

You're not crazy - you're lucky! Being able to afford one good machine, much less two, is a dream for anyone. Enjoy your good fortune and quilt like crazy!!

Blog Entries
    so before he calls check your supply of batting and thread and get out every pieced top in the UFO/WIP boxes and give them a good press.....you have soooooosewwwww much fun ahead of you !!!! purchase more batting and thread before you pick up machine because you will not want to stop....be sure you have menus from all local food shops that deliver...................have a truley great 2013

Quote Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
    so before he calls check your supply of batting and thread and get out every pieced top in the UFO/WIP boxes and give them a good press.....you have soooooosewwwww much fun ahead of you !!!! purchase more batting and thread before you pick up machine because you will not want to stop....be sure you have menus from all local food shops that deliver...................have a truley great 2013
    This one made me laugh. I too think the same way.

Why would we think you are crazy? We all are enablers! Enjoy!

Blog Entries
    Wow! You really had fun in a short time. And now you have someone to learn with. That should make the learning curve easier to cope with. Congratulations! You don't have a problem making decisions, and you're not crazy!

Blog Entries
    well, that was a boost to the local economy, wasn't it? I will be anxiously watching for updates on your use of the new machines!
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

Then welcome to the crazy club! I have a Janome Artistic 18 and have been lusting after computer quilting program for a while now. FMQ is fun, but I sure would love to let Annie do the driving on her own.

Nope, not crazy. Have fun!

Blog Entries

a friend has the computer one and she even can sew on the binding as she quilts...when she takes it off the frame it is all ready for me to trim and turn the binding and stitch/applique it down.

no not crazy-just enthusiastic quilters.congrats and have fun
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

You two aren't crazy! You sound like some fun quilters to me. Wish I had one!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast