Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Plz!!!What did I do wrong with this quilt? >

Plz!!!What did I do wrong with this quilt?

Plz!!!What did I do wrong with this quilt?

Old 12-27-2013, 05:50 AM

Search for tutorials for this quilt. Lots of interesting and helpful tips out there on the web. Lining up seams and quarter inch seam are very important when making this quilt.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

Looks like you compensated with your seam allowance to make sure the center of the star was flat, not cupped. This probably caused the rest of the star to be a bit skewed so the setting squares and triangles are off. Having said this, I really don't think it's that bad. You took the time to make sure the inner portions of the star matched exactly (where it meet the brown setting portions), which goes a long way to make it look correct. I would just recut and re-sew the setting pieces to make the quilt come out square and not cut off any of the points. On your next one, you need to be very precise on cutting and maintaining the proper seam allowance. Also, check your angles as you go. I personally think that appliqueing something over the center would just draw the eye towards it.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:30 AM

it is a bit wonky... but I LOVE IT!!! Great color choices. I agree, if you can, recut the setting pieces. I am willing to bet, in the end, it will still be a beautiful quilt. I am betting, that you, like me have difficulty keeping a consistent 1/4" seam, and with all those millions of seams, the problem multiplies (thus the reason I have NOT tried a quilt like this, even though it is on my bucket list...) Great job!!!
Old 12-27-2013, 06:35 AM

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and advise. I will be ripping it out ( that will be my night time tv work)
and re sewing it at a later date. I love the fabric to. I always try on scrap fabric first then good fabric but as you see I didn't. So I will put my best craft to use and rip rip rip!!!
God Bless
loretta
Old 12-27-2013, 06:39 AM

Working with anything on the bias is tricky, there are several suggestions to take it apart,, if you do be very careful not to stretch it. Eleanor Burns has a pattern for Radiant Star that is almost the same as Lone Star, she breaks it down into steps that help. When assembling this you have to match each seam, it is very time consuming. Don't give up just think of it as a learning experience.. The white center is off, so it is throwing off the next row of points also. Consistent 1/4" seams are important with this pattern. Love the colors you chose.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
The Lone Star pattern can be difficult to get perfect. You can either cut bigger background pieces or redesign it. How about taking the background off, separate the star into two halves and appliqué the two halves on either side of a whole piece of fabric. The center of the star would be on the straight edge of the whole cloth with the arms across from each other for a new design. The fabrics are very pretty together in the star. Someone posted a picture of their star quilt with the star set on one side of a whole background and it was beautiful.
I love this idea!!!!
Old 12-27-2013, 07:28 AM

WELL NOW! Since it is so awful and you are embarrassed by it and you probably will never want to display it or use it anywhere, why eon't you just box it up and mail it to me? None of my friends and family will see anything except how pretty it is. froggyintexas
Old 12-27-2013, 07:47 AM

I must really be blind. It looks beautiful to me. Maybe it is only something that really experienced quilters would notice? It is beautiful.

Dina
Old 12-27-2013, 09:24 AM

Your star is lovely. Did you square the squares and triangles before stitching? From the picture some of the squares appear to be rectangles and the triangles are different sizes. The intricate work of the star looks perfect so it is worth the redo on the filler.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:44 AM

Okay my take on it. Redo the setting squares so the points are not cut off. Then add lots of applique to cover any imperfections! Send it to a long armer and quilt the snot out of it. Or give it to someone who needs a quilt and will love it! Practice makes perfect. I agree if you rip it apart. be very careful I would use starch or sizing first then do the ripping. I love the colors! Luann