Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Points or partial points question >

Points or partial points question

Points or partial points question

Old 07-29-2018, 04:37 PM

I agree with JustABitCrazy on a flannel sheet/squares, I've found that poly batting doing a QAYG is a real pain.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:41 PM

I would not cut off the points. Can you add a narrow strip around the smaller ones (like a border)? The one star block in your picture borders up to a navy and looks fine. How is the size of the log cabin blocks? Can you change the outer strip and make that wider if needed? Good luck.

I once did did a sampler quilt and some of my blocks were not square. They were 1/4” smaller in height. I was able to put them all in the same row and it looked fine.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:43 PM

Oh, forgot, as far as the batting, I would use Dream request. It’s all cotton, thinner, lightweight. Nice product.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
I agree with JustABitCrazy on a flannel sheet/squares, I've found that poly batting doing a QAYG is a real pain.
Oh, thanks for that info! This is why I like this board so much....I get the information/help I need in times of trouble. So, flannel sheets sounds like the way I should go.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ View Post
Oh, forgot, as far as the batting, I would use Dream request. It’s all cotton, thinner, lightweight. Nice product.
I'll check in to that Dream Request batting & see how it looks for thinness. Thanks!
Old 07-29-2018, 04:54 PM

I'd just chalk it up to the confusion of the pattern and your inexperiece with the process very long ago. I'd finish it up, enjoy it, and move on with life.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:34 PM
Power Poster

Cut all the points off making the block smaller. Call it Point Taken. There is a pattern with the points deliberately chopped off called this. LOL
Old 07-29-2018, 08:14 PM

I like the point taken idea. Trim them all to the same size. Also for your next pointy project glue could be your friend. I have stayed away from piecing for years because of lost points till I found this solution. Elmer’s School glue, some small glue tips from http://Www.purpledaisys.com. I now have points. I glue and heat set each seam then stitch no pins and no stretch. It works great and washes out. Also I starch all my fabrics. Hope this helps.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:31 AM

First I would iron all my blocks and make sure that they are laying flat with no tucks. Then measure all of your blocks. Choose the block size that you have the most of. Then work with the other blocks to see what can be done to get them to that size. As suggested it might mean using thinner piecing thread. It might mean sewing a smaller seam or a larger seam. When you quilt the quilt use an overall pattern that goes over the seams to stablize them.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:01 AM

My blocks almost never measure exactly what they should, yet I don't have trouble sewing them together. Before you trim everything to 12", I would assess just how many of the blocks are too small to work with. If the majority are within fudgeable range, maybe re-do the blocks that can't be used, or make new ones.