Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Polar Notions for fabric storage?

Polar Notions for fabric storage?

Has anyone had any experience with Polar Notions? It's a fabric storage system that has sheets of plastic that you can wrap your fabric around.
    Thanks!

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Sounds just like the core boards lots of members are using..

Does anyone have any suggestions for fabric storage? What do you girls like? What do I need to stay away from?

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Every one is different.. And financial situations chose whats good for them..

You can buy:
    polar boards- thin boards with clips
    core boards- there's a member here who sells them - again a thin core board
    comic boards- can order them online - these are thinner and some use 2-3 at a time for stiffness
    Picture mat boards- you can get leftovers and cut to size from the framing stores
    Ruler fold- free - and you just wrap your fabric around one of your rulers and fold
    Bolt boards- free- joannes, hobby lobby and LQS will give them away as they will be trashed

I ruler fold anything less than 2.5 yards
    I keep anything more than 3 yards on the fabric bolts

I use foam board, make minnie bolts, stand them up in my old china hutch and in cupboards, open the door and I can see what I have at a glance.1/2 yard or smaller are sorted by color, kept in baskets and considered Lg scraps, scraps from sewing is trimed into largest usable size, strips and or squares and kept in labeled baskets. When starting a project, after selecting fabric I always check my scrap bins to see if anything will work first before cutting into yardage.

I ruler fold most of my fabrics - all but the little scraps or really long yardages. I don't have to pay for any boards!
    Rilène

After reading Alaskasunshine's thread with great photos showing how she wrapped her fabric on Coroplast boards, I found a local sign shop that would sell me 4' x 8' sheets for $15 each. I ended up needing a lot more boards than expected, and it was a job cutting them up (used old blades in my 60mm rotary cutter), but buying a few at a time over a period of a couple of months, it didn't seem so bad. I also cut up comic boards to fold smaller pieces of fabric around. Shopping my stash for the several projects completed since then has been so different from before. It's just wonderful!

I too followed Alasksunshine thread. I found corollary boards at gone depot, I think they were 3x2 and about $6ish each. Easy way to buy over time.

I started out with Polar Notions. They are nice, but pricey. After that I went with comic book boards. The are acid free and you can get 100 for $10. Overall I have to say I really prefer the comic book boards. They hold the fabric nicely and the big plus - they aren't as thick so you don't lose shelf space. It adds up when you start thinking about it. I thought about buying some of the other ideas mentioned but I just really didn't want to spend the time cutting them to size. This just works for me.

I use foam board that I purchase at Dollar Tree for $1.00 each. Each one is 20X30 inches and I cut each one into 10X6 inch boards so I get 10 to a sheet which is .10 cents each. Can't beat that! I don't usually have sections of fabric over 3 yards each but have a few and have never had a problem wrapping what I need around them. They are acid free so there is no threat of harming the fabric. As you can see below they work beautifully for me. (This is only have of the closet.)

Name:  IMG_0715.JPG
Views: 4702
Size:  211.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ncredbird View Post
    (This is only have of the closet.)
    That should read half, not have! Ann

I have been just keeping mine folded on a shelf but after seeing ncredbird's, that's about to change!

Picture of clips used to fasten loose ends of fabric

Just a side note here. I started by purchasing one pkg of the polar notions just to see how I liked them and quickly realized what a huge investment they were going to be for the amount of fabric that I had in storage. I also tried some colorplast -- less expensive than the Polar Notions but hard to cut and I managed to slice the webbing between my thumb and index finger pretty bad on the sharp edge of the board so decided if it would cut my hand it would cut the fabric if it rubbed on it. Accidentally came across the foam board at the Dollar Tree and decided to give it a try and haven't looked back. I highly recommend it.
    The picture below is what I use to fasten the loose ends of the fabric at the outside of the wrap on the board. I purchase them at WalMart in a small box from the stationary isle.

Name:  Clips.JPG
Views: 1088
Size:  40.4 KB
    Last edited by ncredbird; 01-21-2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: adding picture of clips

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    Everyone has to do what seems right to them... i do fold my fabrics and place on shelves in color groups, but the idea of folding all my fabric (8 shelves, floor to ceiling, 32 ft long) around little boards would make me run screaming from the room... everything over 1/4 yd is on the shelves, smaller than that is cut into 2.5" strips and stored in color sorted pizza boxes.... smaller than that is chopped into confetti and color sorted into baggies for future confetti blocks.... everything that is being used in current projects is in a banker's box on the end of my worktable so that i don't accidently use anything i might need on current project. when top is done, box is sorted into my three areas and done...... i can see all my fabric, and that's all i need...

wow i have to look in to that. they are all
    a neat way of storing fabric. thanks for the info.

Blog Entries
    I have stored fabric on the cardboard bolt boards, and living in humid delaware, my fabric got a musty odor as there is no air conditioning in the walk in closet in the attic ( we now have a vent in there) and the cardboard attracted moisture. I am in the process of removing the bolt boards and using coroplast, it works well. DH cuts them for me in the right size. Hoping that Home Depot or Lowe's will still carry it. It was out of stock the last time we looked.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

coroblast supply

Greetings, all. Look here, I ordered from there and got them in under a week. http://www.uline.com/BL_1854/Plastic-Corrugated-Pads

Fabric should be stored in wire bins, or on shelves away from sunlight.
    Fabric needs to breath so it should never be stored in plastic bins, or wrapped in plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by ncredbird View Post
    I use foam board that I purchase at Dollar Tree for $1.00 each. Each one is 20X30 inches and I cut each one into 10X6 inch boards so I get 10 to a sheet which is .10 cents each. Can't beat that! I don't usually have sections of fabric over 3 yards each but have a few and have never had a problem wrapping what I need around them. They are acid free so there is no threat of harming the fabric. As you can see below they work beautifully for me. (This is only have of the closet.)

Name:  IMG_0715.JPG
Views: 4702
Size:  211.4 KB
    I think I like this idea the most. Foam board seems like it would sturdy. But will it be an issue because it is not acid free?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    just do NOT use plain cardboard or the bolts from stores. THey are NOT acid free and will damage your fabric over time!

Basically you just need to make sure that whatever you use, for long term storage it MUST be acid free! Fabric is too costly to end up with faded lines from acid on the card board!

I have used PolarNotions boards exclusively in my quilt room and have hundreds of them. They are terrific and the company ships very quickly. They may be higher priced than some but the quality is consistent and the company is outstanding to do business with.
    Miss Rita

I agree. That is why the comic book boards are good. They are acid free.
    Karen from Appleton, Wisconsin

I have been following this quilt board for awhile. I read lots of ways others store fabric. I had been storing fabric in tupperware plastic containers. Then I read, that's not the way to go. I then put my folded fabric in drawers. Then there were some who said no good. I went back to the tubs. I go through them time to time, and I do not see anything wrong with my fabric, some of it I have had a good 3-5 years. I also keep these tubs in a closet away from light. I live in AZ with very little humidity.
    I never believe in the word can't,unless you've tried

Blog Entries
    I am using comic boards...I think they come in two sizes and I have the bigger size. I wish I would have doubled them up to make them a tab bit stiffer, but they work pretty good. I'm using the big metal paper clips right now, not concerned with moisture in my closet, so don't have to worry about rust. I do have some fabrics stored in plastic bins though...like 30's, batiks, projects, kits. I'm thinking about drilling several holes in these bins to provide air circulation.....what do you think about that....would that help? I like the bins because they stack so nicely.

I use Polar Notions' products:both sizes work for me. They are pricier, but it's been worth it for me personally. They are a quality product, hold up well (I've been using the same ones for at least 5 years and change out fabric often on them), and their customer service is outstanding.
    Linda

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast