Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Polyester baby quilt

Davenport, IA (winter) Backus, MN (summer}
    Blog Entries

Question Polyester baby quilt

I have been asked to make a baby quilt from a bride's maid dress. The bride is now pregnant and the baby is due soon. The material is polyester and I am planning to make a quilt using 3" squares and using minky for the backing.

My problem is that the polyester seems to be fraying somewhat and I don't want it to ravel. Would it be best to apply iron on fusible light weight interfacing to the back of the fabric? I would do this before cutting out the squares and then sewing them together.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you,
    Last edited by Susan Sanders; 05-13-2013 at 05:43 AM. Reason: grammar errors

Pinking shears will also minimize raveling of the edges.

Polyester melts when heat is applied and it should not be used for a baby quilt because it melts and will adhere to a baby's skin if there is a fire. This is unsafe for a baby.

My suggestion would be to make larger blocks and 1/2" seams. How are you quilting it? If tying it, you may want to zigzag around each block before sewing together. Great use of recycling into the next generation ....

I understand the sentimentality of this quilt idea, but it is very dangerous for the baby involved. I would talk to the mother about having it used as a decoration in the nursery and not actually for the baby.

Blog Entries
    I understand the dangers and if I make this quilt I am going to warn her of the dangers involved. She will have to decide if she wants it to be made or not.

Thank you Jbug and ssnare for the warning! I really appreciate the information.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbug View Post
    I understand the sentimentality of this quilt idea, but it is very dangerous for the baby involved. I would talk to the mother about having it used as a decoration in the nursery and not actually for the baby.

Blog Entries
    make it a wall quilt. something lovely and memorable. not for use in the crib. good luck.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Banned
    starch the edges.
    Lots of baby quilts were made of poly in the 70's

What is the fibre content of Minkie? Isn't it poly or a blend?
    Last edited by Holice; 05-13-2013 at 07:25 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for all of the suggestions and information. I like the idea of the wall hanging. Micky is polyester. I try to make something unique!

I would use it and probably cut with pinking shears to halt the raveling. Poly would be fine but will be very slippery and maybe too warm.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

You could zig zag the edges, or serge, to keep the fabric from raveling. A wall hanging would be nice, but I think the quilt idea is nice, too. Ask the mother, she has the final say.

Blog Entries
    We received a poly quilt years ago as a wedding present and gave it away because it was so slippery. For that reason we couldn't keep in on the bed and if we used it for the kids they would slip out of it like a banana out of it's peel. I agree with the wall hanging idea.

The thoughtfulness of people on this board never ceases to amaze me. Thank you folks for sharing your safety tips with others who might not know that polyester wouldn't be safe for baby.

Quote Originally Posted by ssnare View Post
    Polyester melts when heat is applied and it should not be used for a baby quilt because it melts and will adhere to a baby's skin if there is a fire. This is unsafe for a baby.
    This would be my concern as well. If it's a decorative wall hanging, no problem. I would definitely not use it for any bedding.