Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Polyester filling for bowl cozy >

Polyester filling for bowl cozy

Polyester filling for bowl cozy

Old 05-27-2019, 07:57 AM

Default Polyester filling for bowl cozy

I've read several articles about how dangerous it is to us polyester filling for a bowl cozy. Of course, I had already made several with polyester filling. So I tried them in my microwave. Went up to 10 minutes with no heat in the cozy at all. Absolutely no heat. I suppose it would burn with food on it, as would cotton. Has anyone had a problem with this? It seems that most of the bad publicity is coming from companies that make cotton batting..... I certainly do not want to gift anything that could be dangerous. Plan to write a disclaimer stating they should not go in microwave for over 5 minutes, should never use with food spilled on them and always stay close by and keep an eye on them.

I certainly appreciate any advice you may have, or experiences with this issue. Thanks
Old 05-27-2019, 08:38 AM

I have one I use for a bowl of ice cream. The purpose of these are for hot or cold bowls. Just like a pot-holder doesn't go in an oven. Hopefully, no one cooks a cozy in the MW! LOL.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:01 AM

I have 2 that I have used for heating food in microwave for several years. They were a gift, so I don't know what kind of filling are in them, but they are wonderful. I take the bowls out of the microwave and put them on the table, so don't need hot pads or anything else to protect my table. Etsy advertises hundreds of them for the same purpose.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:14 AM

I'm thinking that if used with food in the bowl set into a cozy in the microwave the polyester could melt or even catch fire from the heat of the food.
Why not use them outside of the microwave? Heat the bowl and contents and place into the cozy to keep warm and not burn hands. If giving as a gift be sure to tell recipients to use only outside the microwave. I do this all the time.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:20 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

I made a friend one using all the “right” things. She said it went up in flames even cracking her microwave ceramic carousel! I have no idea why but I never made anymore!!!
Old 05-27-2019, 09:26 AM

I heard so many horror stories with the potato bags that I didn’t try either one.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:29 AM

Thanks so much for all of the replies. I so appreciate your comments. I've made dozens of them and now I'm afraid to gift them, let alone sell them. I've been using them without a problem, but if there is any chance of danger to anyone, I certainly would not give them, unless I tell folks not to put them into the microwave.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

I think what I would do with ones already made would be to sew something metallic (like little jingle bells) on the outside where they are very visible, to remind everyone not to put them in the microwave.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

they could be great for holding the bowls after taken out of the microwave. I bought myself two pot holders that have rubber strips on one side. i place those toward the hot bowl, hold tight and remove. then set it on a hot pad but could use a bowl cozy if I had one.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:10 PM
Power Poster

Like the idea Dunster had about sewing some kind of trinkets on outside--great reminder !