Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Polyester Help >
  • Polyester Help

• Polyester Help

Old 01-30-2016, 06:35 AM

Default Polyester Help

My aunt, who got me into quilting, passed away earlier this month. I am inheriting her fabric - a LOT of fabric. In the first load (of many) that brought home, I came to a lot of polyester and I know there will be more. I'm pretty confident with the double-knit (knowing it will still be a pain), but the regular stuff (single knit?), I haven't a clue how to handle. I'm wondering if some sort of light interfacing would help stabilize it? I only have basic sewing skills, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

The irony is that she would have been the person I would have gone to with this question. I was happy to find some 9 patch blocks that she had done with the double-knit. There's not enough for a quilt, but I can make more and have one more project that she helped me with.
    Old 01-30-2016, 06:59 AM
    Power Poster

Double knit quilts can be pretty. Use large pieces since the seams will be bulkier then cotton. The light knits I might do whole cloth baby blankets by just putting two squares wrong sides together, stitch around the edge leaving an opening for turning. I would then top stitch stitch around the edge to finish.
    Old 01-30-2016, 07:00 AM
    Power Poster

I myself would just pass them on to a charity resale store. I just have bad memories from the polyester suits I use to have to wear. YUCK!!
    Old 01-30-2016, 08:33 AM
    Power Poster

Lightweight fusible stabilizer is a food way to go when working with polyester. It helps with the stretch, cutting and stitching. I would also lengthen the stitch length a little. Polyester might not be as easy to work with as cotton but it sure makes great utility quilts! They last forever, great for drag around, picnic, fort, kids quilts.
    Old 01-30-2016, 06:38 PM

You can't kill those quilts. I have one made from double-knit from when I was very small. It needs to be requilted because the backing and everything wore out, but the top looks new.
    Old 01-30-2016, 06:46 PM

My DD makes some sort of fabric rugs that are cut into small strips and then knotted around some sort of base, they are very soft, maybe for a bathroom. Single knit polyester would be ideal because it wouldn't ravel like cottons would.